Rotax 912 mounts

33 posts in this topic

Posted

Pretty welds don't equal good welds-some pretty welds are actually pretty shitty welds. When it comes to welding, it's all about penetration, welding puddle penatration! That's why us boys are so fascinated with welding:lmao:!  Ya' gotta get enough heat:flamegun: in the joint:o and melt the 2 parent metals along with the filler rod into one homo genius structure.  If Leni was welding this for a friend to fly over Alaska with, I'd take his work over an a&p's!

1 person likes this

Posted

Pretty welds don't equal good welds-some pretty welds are actually pretty shitty welds. When it comes to welding, it's all about penetration, welding puddle penatration! That's why us boys are so fascinated with welding:lmao:!  Ya' gotta get enough heat:flamegun: in the joint:o and melt the 2 parent metals along with the filler rod into one homo genius structure.  If Leni was welding this for a friend to fly over Alaska with, I'd take his work over an a&p's!

:lol:

You are very right about that as long as the weld profile does not leave stress risers to induce cracking.   No worries on the penetration here I can assure you of that!  :lmao:  We gotta get together one of these days for drinks.  I may have to show up at a ProBro event, that would be a kick in the ass!

If you need a wake up call on welds, take a look at the welds on factory supercubs.  That alone is enough to make sure you never have to use a laxative again!  These welds have also held up and stood the test of time.  You would be shocked at the welds I have seen on film (xrays) that were so full of porosity and incomplete fusion that you would have sworn they were shot with 00 buckshot then painted over.  These welds have been in service since the early 60s on high pressure lines in very high vibration areas and have not cracked out.  Simply amazing to me! 

Any welds that go out of my shop will have passed both PT and MT tests and I will de-magenetize the parts before they go out the door.

1 person likes this

Posted

Just tossing this out here.... For those interested in a mount what would you think is a fair price.  I don't know what you may have paid in the past for a mount but what I am working on will include a Rotax ring mount type clone, Barry mounts, and the firewall mount.  So basically a complete FWF mount system.  I know what Rotax charges for a ring mount.. WTF.. thats stupid.  I want to get a price that is more affordable yet still worth while to spend my time making them.

:BC:

Posted

The final part of my hopefully better mouse trap.  ready to deliver the package to Jeff!

tmp_21674-20161112_204631-1249244952.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

Looks good Leni!

A couple of questions:

1. What or Whose exhaust system is that?
  2. Is that radiator an off the shelf unit or is it something custom?
  3. Did you provide a position for the oil tank?
  4. Did you mock up an engine block so that you don't need an entire engine to make a mount?

Posted (edited)

It's

Looks good Leni!

A couple of questions:

4. Did you mock up an engine block so that you don't need an entire engine to make a mount?

Its the Rotax exhaust.  No you can't pay me enough to make that again. It's a radiator from kf.  looks like one of the Chinese ones you can get off eBay to me.  no, I don't have an oil tank to make a mount but I could if I had one.

No, I have not yet made an engine mock up, but I could do that over the next couple days.  when Bob gets back from kodiak deer hunting I can get a kf firewall pattern

Edited by akflyer

Posted (edited)

It's

Looks good Leni!

A couple of questions:

Its the Rotax exhaust.  No you can't pay me enough to make that again. It's a radiator from kf.  looks like one of the Chinese ones you can get off eBay to me.  no, I don't have an oil tank to make a mount but I could if I had one.

No, I have not yet made an engine mock up, but I could do that over the next couple days.  when Bob gars back from kodiak deer hunting I can get a kf firewall pattern

Leni,  If that don't work out with Bob, I could send you an early KF firewall pattern - don't know if they changed.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted

Do you need a spot to place the oil tank, when I owned a 912 it came with a new oil tank that had a nice mounting bracket, cant you just bolt it through the fire wall.