Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Rotax 912 Oil Cooler

6 posts in this topic

Posted

In researching the rotax 912 I noticed that some have an oil cooler and some do not.  Is the oil cooler a mandatory thing or is it based on air flow to engine?  Does it matter where the oil RESIVOUR (not the cooler) is mounted.

Thanks for your help.

Posted

I ran mine without an oil cooler for a couple of hundred hours but the oil temps were higher than I liked (upto 260F).   Mine has the tank under the baggage compartment and the exposed oil lines were supposed to act as the oil cooler.  I suggest you install one now while you are doing the install of the 912 don't think you will regret it. 

Posted

Installing an oil cooler is a good idea, the 80hp may be ok without one on cool days but a hot day will get you into the red!           My cooler is usually 90%covered but a hot day or beach flying needs 50% exposed or the temps get up a bit,it is good to have an option.A little bit cool would be a preference to too hot.

my reservoir is above the engine on a round cowl setup,no problems

Posted

When using synthetic oil (Mobil1 Racing 4T is what I run) the oil temp redline is 280º.

I never had a need to have a cooler on my yellow plane.  It never showed more than 260º, even when flying at high ambient temps.  The Kitfox does have an open cowl that flows a lot of air through it.  I think much more so than the Avid.

Posted

In researching the rotax 912 I noticed that some have an oil cooler and some do not.  Is the oil cooler a mandatory thing or is it based on air flow to engine?  Does it matter where the oil RESIVOUR (not the cooler) is mounted.

Thanks for your help.

I think I have a couple of different oil coolers stored from my "real airplane engine" days - Don't remember what engine they are for - probably take low price?  EDMO

Posted (edited)

Thanks for your help.

Refer to the Rotax installation manual (D04361 is what I have) for reservoir location:

I have my cooler (but not on an Avid) mounted behind the radiator to help keep the oil temperatures up.

Capture.PNG

Edited by Geoffrey Thorpe