Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Water or Tree Landing?

7 posts in this topic

Posted

Much of the area I fly in is either covered in trees (forested) or water (in land lakes).

So... if the power plant ever goes silent, any advice as to what might have the most success with regard to survive ability?  Drop it on the trees or go for a water landing (ditching)?  We have had a few guys land in the trees in our EAA Chapter and faired quite well. Not concerned about the condition of the plane afterwards, just the occupants.

Larry

IMG_2972.jpg

Posted

If you ditch open the doors, land close to shore and expect to be upside down. Some guys carry 100ft of lightweight synthetic rope for trees. Be a real pisser to survive the tree landing and be stuck hanging up there. In either case fly it all the way to the crash site and land wings level going forward. 

Posted

If you get knocked out in the water, you could very easily drown.   If I had no other choice, I suppose I would hope to find some half grown bushy spruce/evergreen trees.  Smaller branches and hopefully a softer landing.  JImChuk

Posted

If it was soft pines I would head there. Hardwoods only, probably the water. Here's one read with some NTSB stats and the conclusion: http://www.equipped.com/watertrees.htm

Posted (edited)

Good article to read, Doug -

If I was flying over much water, I would have an inflatable jacket on, and maybe an amphibious plane - Cant swim!

Altitude is always your friend - gives more time to pick a spot and get religious!   "A wing and a prayer!"  Some engines restart that way - right, Leni?

EDMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted

Great article, thanks Doug.  Ya gotta hope our relatively slow touch down speeds help in either of these situations.

Posted

Doug, once again the master of information! Very good read. I've always wondered about this. I'd be willing to bet that if you had a retractable gear aircraft the water landings with gear up may be less harsh since the gear isn't the first thing to catch the water and make the plane flip. 

Great subject to bring up and hopefully people will read this thread and think it over for their aircraft and area.