Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Odd radio behavior

4 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I have an odd one here, and I know next to nothing when it comes to radio's.  I have a top mounted antenna (grounded to the fuselage) at the standard Kitfox antenna location.

Radio performs strong in the air and on the ground (often over a 50 mile range).

However, on the way home from a fly in yesterday a Champ was flying loose formation to my side and rear.  When he was anywhere behind me, I could barely make out him and he could barely make out me.  He was at my altitude or slightly lower.  If he was well above me or in front things were strong as usual.

Question is, could my tail feathers or fuselage be hindering transmissions to the rear?  Anyone run across this before?

Larry

Edited by LSaupe

Posted

Where was his antenna?  If his antenna was lower than you, then your fuselage would be blanking out radio transmissions.  Metal tube frames are solid as far as radio waves are concerned.

Mark

Posted

His antenna is also on top.

Posted

Depending on where it is on the fuselage, and the angle of attack, The front part of his fuse, his radio wave sucking meat bag, and even the engine could have been blocking the signals.  That close, line of sight really is line of sight, anything that blocks radio waves will block the signal.

Mark