Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Repairman Certificate

9 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

What is the process like to get a repairman certificate.  Hard?  Easy?  Anything particular I need to study for a AVID Flyer with Rotax 582?  I am the recorded manufacturer so that is not an issue.

Thanks

Edited by lv2plyguitar

Posted

No test, you just send in the paperwork to get the certificate for YOUR plane.

:BC:

Posted

Im looking at the application and it has pass or fail on categories with oral questions.  Am I looking at wrong form to get repairman certificate so I can do my own annual condition inspections?

Thanks

Posted

A friend of mine finished an Avid A model about 10 years ago.  He had to do an interview with the nearest  FAA FSDO.  JImChuk

Posted

Just spoke with FAA.  No oral test.  Complete application and show proof of me being the builder.  End of story.  :-)

1 person likes this

Posted

Wow!  good for you.  I'm going to see that friend of mine in a couple of hours, I'll have to ask him how it came about that he had to do an interview.  Maybe it's changed since he got his.  You was right, Leni!  ;-)  JImChuk

Posted

Call the nearest FSDO office and talk with the duty inspector.  They will walk you through the process. They are good guys and will help you any way they can.  I have a couple of repairman's certs and it has always been very easy and pleasant.  Mine have been through the Seattle FSDO.

As already stated, if you are the builder, have your build log or other documentation to prove you complied with the 51% rule then you can get the repairman cert for that aircraft only.  Only one person can hold the cert for a particular aircraft even if it was assembled by more than one person. EXAMPLE:  I have the cert for the RANs my Father-In-Law started and I finished. I had his build log, my build log and tons of pictures to show the inspector when asked.

Per the current requirements, the airworthiness certificate has to be issued before a repairman's cert can be issued for an experimental aircraft, but, the airworthiness certs are now issued through MIDO so do not expect that the FSDO has the same information you submitted to MIDO. Sometimes they do not talk to each other much. If your airworthiness cert was issued through a DAR they may have kept the documentation that you submitted and you may be able to get copies, otherwise you have to do a request through FAA Kansas City, Records to get copies. (long involved process, pain, suffering, agony, wailing and gnashing of teeth, etc. but, not impossible)

Good Luck,

MarkD

Posted

I've gotten the info from the FAA on quite a few planes, maybe half dozen or so, and it never took very long, maybe a week or two.  Here is a link to the page to order the paperwork for a plane.  http://aircraft.faa.gov/e.gov/ND/  JImChuk

Posted

Thanks everyone.  Lets go flying. 

1 person likes this