Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Tailwheel chain tension and allowable offset?

5 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I have a Kitfox III with an 8" Matco single arm tailwheel.

My wife is training on the bird now, for her tailwheel endorsement, and commented on why there is some left pedal required for it to track straight.  I just never noticed it before.  With the pedals even (rudder is then true to the vert stab) the plane will drift off right.  When raising the tail (by hand) the rudder and tailwheel all line up well, however, during taxi (even on coast with idle) you need to add some left pedal (rudder and tailwheel now slightly misaligned).  Anyone experienced this before?

I added a link to my right chain and it now taxis perfect (with regard to pedal position).  Right chain now has zero tension and left the original 1/2" (unsprung length is 2.75").  Right side spring length is 2.75" and left side compressed to 2.25" (with everything aligned - Rudder to tailwheel straight ahead).  Not sure I want to fly like that, but just for a point of reference.  Prior to the change both were at 2.25"

Gear alignment is perfect.  Kinda odd that the Matco tailweel is offset to the right of the centerline though (maybe due to the single arm?).

Do any of you run different tensions on your chains?

If so, anyone know what the recommended tension is for the Matco?  The supplied chains are rather crude (each link worth 1/2" of distance).

Edited by LSaupe

Posted

It wont matter in the air, I run my chains loose so I am always on the rudder when taxing and have to use a lot of brake as well.  If you like the way it taxi's now, I would leave it rigged the way you have it.

Does the KF have the offset vert fin like the Avids do?  If so, that is why when the rudder is straight wit the fin its pulling.

:BC:

Posted

It wont matter in the air, I run my chains loose so I am always on the rudder when taxing and have to use a lot of brake as well.  If you like the way it taxi's now, I would leave it rigged the way you have it.

Does the KF have the offset vert fin like the Avids do?  If so, that is why when the rudder is straight wit the fin its pulling.

:BC:

Thanks all.   Vertical stab is straight, no offset.

1 person likes this