Zipper Kit

16 posts in this topic

Posted

Just started ordering the Zipper for my Avid.  Sold the wife on it as a safety improvement for getting off of my airstrip, feel free to use that with your wife or husband. :lmao:

4 people like this

Posted

The Zipper is installed.  Install was as advertised, about six hours total time.  The new SS exhausts will be welded up tomorrow and back together Sunday.  New prop will be in on Tuesday so it should be able to get it back in the air next week some time.  Stay tuned for the flight report.  My Ivo Ultralight Ga for the 912 will be for sale if anyone needs one.  Also good stock pistons and cylinders for 80 HP 912 will be available soon. 

2 people like this

Posted

Do you have to tune or re-jet the carbs with this?

Posted

Remains to be seen if it needs a jet change.

Posted

Be prepared to be amazed!

Posted

New prop is out for delivery today and a winter storm moving in tonight but when it does happen I am sure that I will be amazed.  Thanks for posting Jeremy's comments, that helped push me over the edge. 

Posted

Zipity dooda, zipity day, ain't no Zippering happening today!  O well maybe tomorrow. 

image.jpeg

1 person likes this

Posted

I feel your pain...  We got 14" Wednesday night. 

Posted

That conversion really looks tempting.  These planes really turn into a hole in the sky that you throw money into.  I've been spending money like a drunken sailor on mine and I keep finding new things I want.

1 person likes this

Posted

We only got about 2" out of that storm and 1 1/2" out of this one.  Maybe this one will give you a break and move to the south of you.  Did you get your ignition issues resolved?  I noticed that they supplied yellow pushrod tube o-rings, mine were red silicone very rubbery.  Are the yellow ones silicone also?

Posted

Yes they were. 

Posted

First flight report for the Zipper! :bugeyes::BC::bugeyes:

Posted

Details! details.  Pictures! pictures;.   Jim Chuk

Posted

Believe it or not I have not taken any pictures but I can give you a preliminary report.  The Avid went from 95 MPH to 110 MPH at 5500 RPM and the rate of climb  went from about 600 to 1200 FPM At 75 MPH.  The shocking part was at 55 I saw 1700 FPM at 8000' DA and then realized someone had flown into a cloud.  I will have to revisit that one.  The prop still needs some tweaking to get up to the recommended 5500 RPM for climb out.  Put 2.5 hours on the Hobbs today. There should be some better numbers after a few flights but it doesn't look good for tomorrow. Wow if I said at this point that I was pleased it would be a major understatement.  Hal and Jay have been very helpful and always available to answer questions.  More to come....

1 person likes this

Posted

Awesome!  I'm loving my Zipper, too!

I'm getting sustained 1500 fpm climb without full rpm!  I'm only getting 4800 on initial takeoff and climb, but its still off in 200' with huge climb.  Once I get the prop tweaked my plane should take off damn near vertically!

Posted

Great Larry, the Zipper is awesome so far.