Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Fueling Options

17 posts in this topic

Posted

I am looking for ways to fuel our bird without needing to hoist a 5 gallon can over the wing each time.  My wife can't lift a can very high and doesn't want to take the risk.

I was thinking something like:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pspages/goatthroat.php

Anyone have experience with this or other ideas?

Posted (edited)

Larry,  I don't have a photo, and both kegs are at the hanger.   Years ago, say between 1980 and 1990, when 87 Avgas started to get scarce, and only 100LL was available at some locations, we learned that 100LL had 4 times the lead in it as 87 and our plugs started leading up and the oil was not scabbing the lead out of oil passages, so we started mixing 1 gal 100LL with 4 gal Mogas, and 2 oz Marvel Mystery Oil. -

Well, to the story: 

We bought some stainless Pony Beer kegs from Anheuser Busch, and made some simple plywood stands to hold them horizontally, with a tray to hold the fuel hose, and held them on with bungees.  At the center hole, which was now on top, we welded a stainless pipe for the fill pipe, and put a threaded cap on it with an air fitting threaded into the cap.  We put a shutoff valve on the end fitting and attached our 1/2" fuel hose to it.  With a small 12 volt compressor hooked to the truck cigarette lighter socket, we could put 10 lbs of air into the keg and force fuel from the ground or bed of truck up into the plane.  We also tried a 12 volt fuel pump to do the same job, but it would not lift the fuel as high as the air pressure.   I think this is a 12 or 16 gal keg, and we would mix about 10 gal or 15 gal of fuel to put in it at a time. We had to sneak it into some airports because the FBO didn't want us buying gas except from them, and they didn't have Mogas.     Hope this gives you some ideas.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted

At the Coast Guard, we had one that was plastic on wheels, with the same type of pump on it - think it was sold by Northern Equipment - Forget how much gas it held, but it was smaller than the one above.   EDMO

Posted

funny thing is that it is also smaller than that .they say 30 gal but only hold 23 .mine says 25 but only holds 19.chinese engineering.but beats hoisting a can.havent had a spill since I got it

Posted

I use a good step ladder and the biggest version of a Mr Funnel in the hangar. With good vents I can pour 6 gallons in just under 2 minutes. With the Mr Funnel you only have to hit a 10" hole. On the road it's all bets off. Most creative I ever got was a barstool at a gas station place in the middle of Nevada. 

image.jpeg

3 people like this

Posted

My penny tech solution is a shaker siphon.  Harbor freight has them for less than 7 buck.  It'll pull 5gal in less than 5 min - during that time, I'm doing my preflight checks and walk around.

Here's one at Northern Tools

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200603938_200603938?utm_source=google_PPC&utm_medium=Dynamic+Search+Ads+Test&utm_campaign=DSA&utm_content=_cat:fuel transfer lubrication&mkwid=sWgi7Aaj0&pcrid=81459281471&mtype=b&devicetype=c&storeId=6970&langId=-1&type=search&gclid=CO2N6KTgnssCFZWRHwodYu8HCw

Posted

My penny tech solution is a shaker siphon.  Harbor freight has them for less than 7 buck.  It'll pull 5gal in less than 5 min - during that time, I'm doing my preflight checks and walk around.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200603938_200603938?utm_source=google_PPC&utm_medium=Dynamic+Search+Ads+Test&utm_campaign=DSA&utm_content=_cat:fuel transfer lubrication&mkwid=sWgi7Aaj0&pcrid=81459281471&mtype=b&devicetype=c&storeId=6970&langId=-1&type=search&gclid=CO2N6KTgnssCFZWRHwodYu8HCw

Sooo - Do you have to lift your 5 gal gas container up onto wing to siphon?  I'm getting too old to lift more than one gallon, or 12 ounces!  EDMO

Posted

Sooo - Do you have to lift your 5 gal gas container up onto wing to siphon?  I'm getting too old to lift more than one gallon, or 12 ounces!  EDMO

Yeah I do "lift" it by hand.  I use a small step ladder and set the the tote on the wing over a towel.  It's simple and works as I presently have good use of most my extremities -- works for me.  However, I realize this method relies on gravity.  I like your pressurized container method Ed you mentioned above.  What about installing a shrader valve to a tote --  a long tube to the bottom with the outlet attaching to long 3/4" tubing reaching the tank -- use a portable airpump to pressurize the tote and voila your "LIFTING" fuel w/out the use of gravity or your extremities!  The best part it doesn't cost 3 something or another figures.

Posted (edited)

Yeah I do "lift" it by hand.  I use a small step ladder and set the the tote on the wing over a towel.  It's simple and works as I presently have good use of most my extremities -- works for me.  However, I realize this method relies on gravity.  I like your pressurized container method Ed you mentioned above.  What about installing a shrader valve to a tote --  a long tube to the bottom with the outlet attaching to long 3/4" tubing reaching the tank -- use a portable airpump to pressurize the tote and voila your "LIFTING" fuel w/out the use of gravity or your extremities!  The best part it doesn't cost 3 something or another figures.

Shrader valve, tubeless tire fitting - both have the supply hose held in place to pressurize - with the quick-detach air fitting, which I failed to describe fully, you connect the supply hose from the compressor, and with the pressure regulator set on 10 lbs, you have more or less a constant, safe pressure going into the tank - also, if you have another shutoff valve on the end of the fuel hose, you don't need another person on the ground to turn on/off the fuel valve.   Yes, we tried a portable air tank, (tote) and it didn't last long enough to push 10 or 15, or maybe 5? gallons.  Gasoline can get unstable with over about 10 lbs of air pressure on it, according to those with more knowledge than me.   One more thing, we ran a small cable from the tank to ground it to the plane..(I think it does no good to try to ground to a fiberglass tank - the only way ground can go is thru the gas in the tank thru the fuel lines to the engine) - but we had metal tanks and aluminum skin on both planes back then.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Larry, when you say "My wife can't lift a can very high" I do see alternative, non mechanical solutions... but maybe we better take that discussion over a beer...

1 person likes this

Posted

I've been using these: http://www.amazon.com/Sierra-Tools-Battery-Operated-Liquid-Transfer/dp/B000HEBR3I/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1456823678&sr=8-2&keywords=fuel+transfer+pump

They're a *very* cheaply made transfer pump that runs off 2 D cell batteries.  I do still have to lift the 5-gal gas can up onto the wing, but then can just leave it there unattended while it transfers.   The price is right ($16 or so).  I would guess that one set of batteries transfers about 50 gallons.   I'd tried the 30 gallon fuel tote, hand-crank pumps, setting the can on a ladder and letting it siphon, modifying cans to pour faster, etc... and I'm happiest with this.

Posted

Fabulous feedback and ideas!  Thanks.

Posted

I use an automotive electric (12v DC) universal pump and some 1/4" rubber fuel hose and have made a transfer pump rig that will transfer 5 gal of gas to the wing tank in just a few minutes.  All parts are from the local automotive parts store.  I mounted the pump/filter setup on a small piece of plywood and have a cig lighter socket in the plane.  Just plug in power cord to the cig lighter socket and turn on the switch on the pump, stick the suction hose in the gas can and the discharge  in the wing tank.  Simple, easy no lifting.  Plenty of time to stand around and BS and have a smoke while the wing tank overflows. ( ooops! wasn't supposed to tell you the last part. )

MarkD

2 people like this

Posted

Thought I would pass this along. This is the option we went with.  Works real nice plus the added bonus of an automatic sensor at the hose outlet which prevents an overfill.

The pump will actually raise the fuel 3 feet. So.. we just walk a 5 gallon can to the top of our small ladder/stool. Drop the end of the hose in the wing tank and shuts off when the tank is full.  

http://www.amazon.com/Second-Gen-TERAPUMP-TRFA01-Auto-Stop/dp/B00SBZRKEU/ref=pd_sim_263_5?ie=UTF8&dpID=41XlnUXn8bL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=196SQN81BN2HBKXQR2S1

1 person likes this

Posted

Looks to be a good alternative