Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Jabiru Engine mount drawings

9 posts in this topic

Posted

If some body has the engine mount drawings for the 2200 to the Kitfox could you post them. I have contacted Jabiru NA several times and and Katie says Pete will call you with details then Pete says Katie will call you with details. thanks

Posted (edited)

Thanks Jim, Now here is a good question for everyone It shows the engine sits 11 5/16 off the firewall Now I pushed my Jabiru tight up against the sheet rock wall in my garage and it only needs 6 inches to clear everything, So with that being said would a guy be better to keep the engine back a bit closer to the fire wall, Some say these short kitfoxes and avids dont like the forward weight of these bigger engines?  Just a thought, all comments welcome

Edited by TJay

Posted (edited)

Agree TJay,   What is the weight of the Jab?  If it is as much or more than the 582, then I would put it as close to the firewall as possible.  The Soob in my plane, and in SuberAvid's plane, barely have room to put the alternator belt between the pulley and the firewall.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Just looked at my Avid jabiru mount drawings.  They show 8 3/4" top, and 7 3/8" bottom of the mount from the firewall.  That does put the carb close to the firewall, barely room for an air cleaner, in fact, I needed to loosen up the engine mounting bolts to take the cleaner off.  The new firewall will be boxed in to give clearance for the air cleaner.   That being said, my cg is near the front of the envelope and I would not move the engine forward on my plane.  Just looked at the small print at the bottom right of the drawing, and it does say Kitfox 1, 2, 3, but it also says Avid 1,2.  I know the Avid mount is different from the Kitfox.   It's possible that the Avid front of the fuselage sits further forward in relation to the wing than the Kitfox does, and perhaps both engine locations would be the same distance from the wing.  If you want to measure yours , I can do the same with my Avid tomorrow.  If you take a sheet rock square, lay it under the wing carry throughs, with the cross piece against the front of the front carry through, then hook you tape on the top front firewall tubing.   Jim Chuk

PS  just realized the lights were still on in the garage, so I went and measured my Avid MK IV.  The front of the fire wall is 19" in front of the front wing carry through.

Posted

Just looked at my Avid jabiru mount drawings.  They show 8 3/4" top, and 7 3/8" bottom of the mount from the firewall.  That does put the carb close to the firewall, barely room for an air cleaner, in fact, I needed to loosen up the engine mounting bolts to take the cleaner off.  The new firewall will be boxed in to give clearance for the air cleaner.   That being said, my cg is near the front of the envelope and I would not move the engine forward on my plane.  Just looked at the small print at the bottom right of the drawing, and it does say Kitfox 1, 2, 3, but it also says Avid 1,2.  I know the Avid mount is different from the Kitfox.   It's possible that the Avid front of the fuselage sits further forward in relation to the wing than the Kitfox does, and perhaps both engine locations would be the same distance from the wing.  If you want to measure yours , I can do the same with my Avid tomorrow.  If you take a sheet rock square, lay it under the wing carry throughs, with the cross piece against the front of the front carry through, then hook you tape on the top front firewall tubing.   Jim Chuk

PS  just realized the lights were still on in the garage, so I went and measured my Avid MK IV.  The front of the fire wall is 19" in front of the front wing carry through.

Mine measures 20 inches so not much different, Wonder why on the kitfoxes they want the engine so much farther forward? looks like I better just make an engine mount that fits my needs.

Posted

I just drug out my calculator, and guessed at some numbers.  Suppose the cg of the engine is 40" in front of the wing, and the tailwheel is 145" behind the wing.    Figuring 150 lbs for engine, and 50 lbs on the tailwheel.  40"x150 lbs = 6000   42"x150 lbs = 6300  Or 300 inch lbs difference with engine 2" further forward.   Next the tailwheel, 50 lbs x 145" = 7250   53 lbs x 145" = 7685  Or 435 inch lbs difference.  What that tells me is 3 extra lbs on the tail more than offsets moving the engine 2" forward.  My figures for weights and distances were just guesses and while not exact, are probably fairly close.  Food for thought any way.  Jim Chuk

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I just drug out my calculator, and guessed at some numbers.  Suppose the cg of the engine is 40" in front of the wing, and the tailwheel is 145" behind the wing.    Figuring 150 lbs for engine, and 50 lbs on the tailwheel.  40"x150 lbs = 6000   42"x150 lbs = 6300  Or 300 inch lbs difference with engine 2" further forward.   Next the tailwheel, 50 lbs x 145" = 7250   53 lbs x 145" = 7685  Or 435 inch lbs difference.  What that tells me is 3 extra lbs on the tail more than offsets moving the engine 2" forward.  My figures for weights and distances were just guesses and while not exact, are probably fairly close.  Food for thought any way.  Jim Chuk

Jim,  I haven't had much coffee this morning, but cant follow your calculations - Wouldn't moving the engine forward make the tail maybe 3 lbs LIGHTER instead of heavier?  It would have to move the CG forward.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

What I was trying to say is that moving the engine 2" forward is more than balanced out by adding 3lbs of weight to the tail wheel.  Jim Chuk 

1 person likes this

Posted

What I was trying to say is that moving the engine 2" forward is more than balanced out by adding 3lbs of weight to the tail wheel.  Jim Chuk 

OK - another coffee and I am waking up - put more baggage weight in to move CG back - OK   EDMO