Carbon fiber for flap repair.

4 posts in this topic

Posted

Hey every one! So as I work in the series V , to get ready for spring, One of the tasks is to repair or replace the damaged flaperon ends, after close exam, they apear to be made from carved and shaped blue foam, covered in a thin coat of plastic, like bondo. This proved to be very fragile, and the foam was dissolved in places under the plastic. I opted to replace them with a new end made of dense foam that was resin resistant, after shaping and installing that in the ends I coated the tips with resin. Before that was totally dry, I covered the ends with a tight woven carbon fiber, pre cut to shape from a paper patern. Then taped it down smooth and let dry. After drying, I coated with more resin over lapping into the main aluminium Flap.I need a couple more coats and then sand smooth with a final coat of resin to make a finish. This should be very strong and not dent or tare like the old ones.

0223161036b.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

I like the way that looks.

Dave

Posted (edited)

Al,  If that was an early Kitfox , that plastic / Bondo stuff should have been Hysol 9460 - unless Skystar changed the process.   NOTE:  Sometimes, Skystar changed some part or procedure and did not update the manual to show the new change.  I think with the model 4 or 5 and Later they actually used a plastic end cap?   I cant remember what plane everyone has and I don't know what other planes used.    Your method looks better to me.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Just make sure you have a good layer of resin between the carbon and the aluminum - if they touch it will corrode very quickly.

Mark