Reworking a B model cowling

62 posts in this topic

Posted

Looks good Joey; now just a lot of sanding and spot and glaze.  What is your plan for the holes you left?

Posted

I was just going to tape over the back and fill with the micro ballon slurry.

Posted (edited)

Joey,  I have never tried that, but think you would be safer to epoxy some cloth on the back and fill in the holes with slurry - clean all the paint out of the holes first, and a little bit around them on the outside.  Ed

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Looks really good Joey. When I did mine I screwed down a piece of old plexi or lexan cut from from an old windshield with a wax paper liner to the outside of the cowl. 2 layers of cloth inside and one outside after removing the plexi if I remember right. I had a bit of a rough spot where the wax paper had gotten a crease that I didn't notice. It sanded out though. Filled and sanded a few times and the outside was smooth as if uncut.

I did similar to what you are suggesting for the little screw holes. I taped little pieces of wax paper tightly over the back of the holes and filled with thickened epoxy. No problems at all after 2 years.

Dan

Posted

I just laid down my third and hopefully final coat of slurry this afternoon. This was the biggest batch and I made it quite a bit thicker than the other batches. Laid out pretty nice. Can't wait to sand it down and see how it looks. May just have to slap it on the plane and go flying on Sunday morning before the game. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Posted

Once you get it sanded and you are happy with it remember to squeegee on the "neat" coat of epoxy to fill the pen holes.  Looking good. 

Posted

Once you get it sanded and you are happy with it remember to squeegee on the "neat" coat of epoxy to fill the pen holes.  Looking good. 

ended up with one spot with pinholes that I found after I shot some primer. It still needs a little finish work but overall I am happy with how it came out. I am done sanding for now. Going flying tomorrow. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Posted

Looks good Joey!  Wasn't that bad to do, was it.   Time, effort, guidance, and gumption will get most things done.  Jim Chuk 

Posted

Is that a young Llama in your drive???

Posted

Is that a young Llama in your drive???

Miniature horse???

Posted

It's a stuffed mini horse. Another ginormous toy compliments of gma and Gpa.

I flew for a bit today and met up with some friends. Looking forward to phase 2 of the cowl project. I think the best bet is going to be widening the cowl at the bottom seam. Everything fits a little tighter now for some reason. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

2 people like this

Posted

I was going to chime in at the beginning of your project but I didn't want to sound like a know it all. I do fiberglass work to Vettes and different Race car boddies almost every month. I always have the part being glassed completely attached to the vehicle while I am doing my work. It keeps the parts from changing shape from not having them exactly how they fit on the car.  Another thing I always do, is heat set the repaired fiberglass area. Heating it with a heat lamp, before moving forward with the body work. If you don't do this the first time you are out on a hot summer day, the fiberglass will move and get lumpy, destroying all the body work that you have done. Unfortunatly I found this ou the hard way.

2 people like this