Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Old Adhesive?

5 posts in this topic

Posted

I've got to do some major surgery to the wings on my budget Avid project. A friend of mine is finishing up his Magnum project, and said he has some left over structural adhesive. He couldn't remember the number, but he thinks he bought the same stuff that was included with the original kit. I'm going over there tonight to check it out.

He said that he's had it about 2 years, and he thought that he read that 2 years is the shelf life is on it. He also said that some of the old stuff that he had seemed to work just as well as the new stuff he bought. What do you guys think about using 2 year old adhesive? Also, are there better adhesives than what was originally provided in the kits?

Thanks,

Luke D.

Posted

Okay, I had time to do a little searching, and it looks like 9460 is still what is being used on wings. I'm still curious if anyone has any thoughts on going beyond the 2 year shelf life.

Thanks,

Luke D.

Posted

I bought new 9460 when I built my wings.  The 3M stuff that came with the kit I used for non critical parts and it worked just fine (25 years old) but for the few dollars that the new stuff costs it is not worth taking the chance in my book, others mileage may very.  Two years old probably just fine,  previous statement still applies for me.  How the product was stored also plays into the equation, refrigerated I might be tempted, stored in a hot hangar not so much. 

Posted

Thanks for the reply Paul. My friend gave me the newest cans that he had which he estimated to be about 2 years old. It is 3M 2216 A/B Gray. He said that he had used some of the 20 year old stuff from the original kit in non critical areas, and it appeared to mix up and work just like the new stuff. Also, it was stored in his insulated shop that he only heats when he is working out there. Not sure what to think. I think I'll try calling 3M tomorrow.

Luke D.

Posted (edited)

Luke,  If it don't work out with the 2216, Kitfox gets about $135 to ship the cans of 9460 to me.

EDMO

Edited by EDMO