Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Rolling Vs Folding Fabric

11 posts in this topic

Posted

Bout to place an order from Spruce here and it asks me do you want to save on shipping and fold the fabric. So will the folds come out decent or is it way better to roll it up?

Posted

How much is it saving you?

I would think the folds "should" come out with a full temp shrink, but maybe not on the lighter temp shrink for the wings. 

Posted

I'm pretty sure any wrinkles would come out.  It gets pulled pretty tight when you shrink it.  Also, just ironing it at a temp below 225 will flatten out wrinkles without shrinking the fabric.   (ball up a piece of scrap fabric and try it)   I've had it rolled the last two times I bought fabric, 35 yards and then 70 yards the last time.  I think it will be way easier to handle if it's on a roll.  If you have it sent folded, I would put it on a tube when you get it.  I'm thinking about trying to unfold it on top of the wing, and I'm sure it would be easier if it was on a roll.  I didn't think the extra shipping cost was that much different either.  Maybe $10. more????  Nice to see that you are getting close to covering.  Ever find out the serial # on that Jabiru?  Jim Chuk

Posted

I haven't covered a whole airplane, but folds in the fabric I used on larger patches (one wing bay size) disappeared on the first level of shrink (1.8 oz dacron).

Posted

I never checked shipping difference but if its something like a 10 or 20 bucks I will just have it rolled thanks for the info guys, Right now I am waiting on Lars from Better aircraft Fabrics He said he had a second grade fabric that has paint flaws in it and  Costs 25% less cost but you have to paint it, Not sure if its a better option yet I guess there is no poly brushing and poly spraying to do

Posted

All folds i had came out when shinked.  no issues

Posted

If my memory is correct, the 70 yd roll of 2.3 oz fabric cost about $30 to ship from Ga. to Mn.  The roll was 6' long and about 4.5" in diameter.  Rolled on a 2" paper tube.   I remember ordering 2 yards of ultralight fabric one time, along with some other bolts and nuts and small stuff.  They ended up shipping the fabric in a separate box.  It was folded up and took up about the same amount as a hand towel.  They charged me $9.60 shipping for that one box which probably weighed less than half a lb..  I called and complained and they ended up giving me the shipping back for that one box.  If I had specifically asked them to ship in one box, they would have, but the fabric gets cut in a different part of their warehouse.  At least that's what they said when they were trying to defend why I was getting hosed.  Now I try to make a point about asking about shipping and what is the cheapest way to do it.  Jim Chuk

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I never checked shipping difference but if its something like a 10 or 20 bucks I will just have it rolled thanks for the info guys, Right now I am waiting on Lars from Better aircraft Fabrics He said he had a second grade fabric that has paint flaws in it and  Costs 25% less cost but you have to paint it, Not sure if its a better option yet I guess there is no poly brushing and poly spraying to do

IF Lars' fabric has paint flaws in it, then it may not be UV protected in those areas - You might have to apply UV protection before painting just like with plain cheaper fabric from Spruce.  And, how much was that Oraglue - $185 liter?

EDMo

Edited by EDMO

Posted

So why do they make it both ways? Does it depend on how long you leave it folded?

Or is the tube just more convenient? Use to work at a composite shop. Have to say a roll was pretty easy to deal with. Pull off how much you want and cut it off.

Posted

I think if you were just getting a few yards, it would cost way less folded  to ship it than rolled up on a 6' tube.  30 yards folded would be a pain to deal with in my opinion

1 person likes this

Posted

I experimented with several quantities and weights and the difference in shipping is always about $10-12 more for shipping.  Personally I think the extra 10 bucks for rolling it to me is worth it.

1-1-2016 8-56-19 AM.jpg

1 person likes this