Plastic Leading Edge glue test

8 posts in this topic

Posted

Ok so I am bout ready to glue my Plastic Leading edge on, I know most use 9460 but I thought I would do some testing with average inexpensive adhesive. These pieces are leftover cutoffs, The first glue is 100% Silicone Rubber I chose this because everybody seems to use it around the house, Personally I hate Silicone, To me its a painters nightmare, The second is an adhesive caulk made by Lexel, I chose this because it is easy to buy and I have used this several times from Siding to Vinal windows, even after years sitting in the weather it sticks great and stays flexible, the third is 9460 and the forth is an cheaper product I picked up from Spruce last year I was always gonna use it on non structural parts but never have, Its called Met Weld, Ok that's all, Ill try to rip them off another day,

Glue test 002.JPG

Posted

Once you have the leading edge on, the covering is going to hold it in place.  5200 is a great adhesive for this as it will flex A LOT and will hold damn near anything to anything!

:BC:

Posted

What's 5200?

Posted

:withstupid:   :lol:   It is a kick ass sealant / adhesive that will stick to damn near anything.  When I put in through hull transducers or anything on the boats that is what I use.  Very Very tenacious stuff so don't use it for something you want to take apart later!

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

:withstupid:   :lol:   It is a kick ass sealant / adhesive that will stick to damn near anything.  When I put in through hull transducers or anything on the boats that is what I use.  Very Very tenacious stuff so don't use it for something you want to take apart later!

Hahaha! :) I thought they used to make a lower strength ... 4200 maybe, but I didn't see it on 3M's site.

I like silicon, but just not on metal parts. It has acetic acid in it and is corrosive, or certainly can be.

As far as through hull transducers, I use silicon if glass hull. Well, if the unit should ever go out you can get it back off. I almost would rather deal with epoxy than 5200. At least it will fracture and break off!!! :)

Edited by Fly-n-Low
1 person likes this

Posted

I think they do make a medium strength.  yes, I've had to bore another hole in a hull because the old transducer installed with 5200 was not going to come out.  below the water line I won't use anything else though.  :bc:  

Posted

9460 won by a long shot, After scuffing the plastic with 60 grit paper and wiping a little acetone on it the plastic to soften it, the plastic was damn near cemented on there. Bent a screw driver trying to pry it off, stuff works when prepped right. 

1 person likes this