Burning in the brakes

7 posts in this topic

Posted

Avid Bros,

I'm in the process of rebuilding my entire Matco brake system. All new guts on the Mc-1, o rings in caliper, and brake linings.  Obviously no one loves their Matcos cause of a number of reasons: they suck, shitty geometry, etc.  BUT, has anyone "Burned in" ,according to Matcos guide, their brake linings to get full affect from them? I don't know if my original linings were initially done correctly- I wasn't the builder. Matco has a definite process. If you did do it, was there a noticeable difference? Thanks!

Posted

yes I did it when I changed them the last time.  It did not really seem to make much difference.

:BC:

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

When I changed to Cleveland wheels and brakes on the Ercoupe I had almost no brakes with the new pads until I rode the brakes while applying power down the taxiway and back, per the instructions - after that, they held for a full static runnup.

EDMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted

just did a matco rebuild a few weeks ago. The new pads had limited effect until getting them heated up. I did their procedure speeding up and slowing down three time and I was really surprised at the difference. I can actually stop now.

Travis

1 person likes this

Posted

I agree ,after I did the double caliper setup they worked better and better evey time I flew.

1 person likes this

Posted

Thanks guys!:BC:

Posted

I did mine when I redid them. Before it they wouldn't hold a full throttle run up, but now they will.

1 person likes this