Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

wingtanks.com replacement fuel tanks needed

18 posts in this topic

Posted

Has anyone been able to contact wing tanks.com lately? The tanks in my Mark IV are disintegrating,have received no response attempting to order replacements from website. Thanks any help would be appreciated.

Posted

Posted

See other thread, wingtanks.com = Airdale. 

Posted

You can buy tanks from Kitfox for the undercambered wings.

EDMO

1 person likes this

Posted

I bought mine from kitfox. Cost a little over $1100 bucks, and they fit nice.

Posted

EDMO

EDMO

EDMO, What are undercambered wings? Thanks Littlelar

Posted

EDMO

EDMO

EDMO, What are undercambered wings? Thanks Littlelar

What I call "undercambered wings" are the original wings used on all Avids and the Kitfox 1,2,3, with the concave bottom on the modified Eppler ribs - Kitfox 4 and later changed to a Riblett designed rib that did not have this upward bow underneath.   Kitfox makes alcohol-resistant tanks for both kinds of wings.

Personally, I would invest about $50 per tank and try coating them inside with Caswell before spending about $500 each for new tanks.

EDMO

Posted

I tried fixing my rotted out tanks, it didn't work. Ended up putting new tanks inside the crap fiberglass ones. Bought mine from Rlcky Mt Wings. Not sure if they are any better than Airdale to deal with if you can even get hold of them.

Posted

I tried fixing my rotted out tanks, it didn't work. Ended up putting new tanks inside the crap fiberglass ones. Bought mine from Rlcky Mt Wings. Not sure if they are any better than Airdale to deal with if you can even get hold of them.

I imagine your finger slipped when you tried to write ROCKY MOUNTAIN WINGS....I knew what you meant, but someone else might not know.

EDMO

1 person likes this

Posted

EDMO does it matter which kitfox wing tank to order for avid MKIV. or are  Kitfox 1,2,3 tanks all the same.                                                                                                                                                       Thanks Steve

Posted

You need to measure the twist in your wings they build that into the tank.

Posted

Thanks TJay I have only 1 tank and would feel better with 2 no matter how good hks is on fuel.Some strong headwinds on Canadian prairies LOL.Is this done with wings covered,I have no idea how this is done.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           Regards Steve

Posted

I would say level the plane so at the root end of the wing spars are level with each other then go out to the tip place the level under the wing and see how much lower the front spar is than the rear. That should give you your twist.

Posted

The way the tanks are mounted, in the first rib bay, I doubt any amount of washout-twist will matter in how they fit.

As to coating the inside of "old" tanks, IMO that is a waste of time and borderline dangerous.  I say this because ethanol is present almost everywhere in auto gas.  Coating will fail.  Guaranteed.  Maybe not today or tomorrow, but they will fail.  Then the tank will fail.

If you are adding a tank or have a leak already, IMO the only fix is to install a new (ethanol resistant) tank.

Posted (edited)

The way the tanks are mounted, in the first rib bay, I doubt any amount of washout-twist will matter in how they fit.

Actually, I think it does. When fitting the old Skystar 'slip-in' wing tanks for model 1-3 into my Avid Mk-IV, the different twist caused a noticable unevenness between spar and cove. You could actually feel them rock slightly from inboard to outboard.

Edited by dholly

Posted (edited)

I forget if it was Birddog or High Country, or who, but someone had the same problem I had with the tank fitting the twist in the wing - I ended up adding another layer of capstrips on the rib on each side of it  to keep the corners of the tank from sticking up above the fabric line.

I don't think it matters if you have too little or too much twist in the wings to fit the tank - something wont fit.  The surest way is to order your tanks to match the twist in your wings, which starts at the root rib and gets progressively more toward the tip.

EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Bandit, I appreciate the update on another supplier for wing tanks. I like the idea of setting them inside the rotten tanks, without tearing the wing apart. How many gallons, how many dollars? Thanks again littlelar 44.

Posted

If I remember right the tanks held about 5.2 gallons each. I had pictures of the installation on my laptop, but I might have lost them in the transfer of information to the new laptop. I will try to find them. I can not remember the cost of  them though. I think they were just a little differant design than wingtanks.com. Mine have a turn on filler cap for each tank. My inboard insert did move a little bit after flying it a few hours. The wing must move and twist in flight some.