Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Pushing with a tail wheel dolly

7 posts in this topic

Posted

My wife would like to utilize a tailwheel dolly (for pushing the plane out of the hanger and pulling it in).

Are there any concerns with this on these planes (concern more during the push)?

I move it in and out using the grab handle, so the loads wouldn't be very high.

Any success or failures/concerns in this regard?

Posted

I wouldn't think Pushing on the tailwheel would cause any damage as long as the wheel is secured in whatever type of rig you set up. 

I, too, use the grab handle and wheel my plane around (with the tailwheel on the ground) from there. 

Posted

TJ had a great idea with his shovel dolly.

image.thumb.jpg.376f9516df0e85cd06d40cf0

Not my wooden wheeled tail stand, but I welded up something similar out of scrap metal. Bonus for this is it keeps wings level when folded so you don't have to drain fuel.

image.thumb.jpg.0cdb00994c5f5fd6019b134b

Posted

Great ideas!  Thanks.

Posted (edited)

One key to easily move the plane with the wings folded if you are on gravel or grass is big pneumatic tires like my tail wheel scoop.  If you have concrete or real smooth pavement the small hard dolly wheels are okay.

Edited by tcj

Posted

My first tail stand was similar to the link Larry posted, however, the big flaw as I saw it was very little stability side-to-side. With the wings folded and weight on the stand, I was always concerned that I might twist or tweak the fuselage if the wheel hit a rock or lip in the pavement when pushing it sideways. Just seemed like a lot of leverage stress. The next idea was to bolt two lengths of box channel to a cheap 1-7/8" replacement trailer coupler from Tractor Supply and match drill for the fuselage tie-down cross tubes. Similar to the way the tow bar works but a lot lighter and simpler. I did weld a cross brace to strengthen it but you could do the same with a long bolt. With the wings out, I attach the 'trailer tongue' and lift onto a manual trailer dolly, then fold wings. This too keeps the wings level for easy folding and storage. Sorry no pics, I loaned it out and have yet to get it back it worked so well!

189202.jpg

dolly.jpg

1 person likes this