Extend a wing

7 posts in this topic

Posted

I posted this on the Yahoo forum, but I did not get any takers;

I have two short-wing Avids. One is a speedwing, and the other is apparently a clipped STOL wing. Both are 106 inches long at the spar.

Both have 1 1/2 inch washout at the tip rib.

I am not impressed with the flying characteristics of either one. I have a wing extension kit that was intended to extend a speedwing.

Would I be better served by extending the speedwing, or the clipped STOL wing? Ribs are not a problem, I can make ribs.

What is the experience with extended speedwings? Is it worth the effort.

Thanks, Bob

Posted (edited)

I have extended (aerobatic) speedwings with vortex generators.  I enjoy the way the plane flies.  Have a look at a video I made two days ago, messing around at my home field.  You can see how the wings are extended out past the flapperons.

Full disclosure: I'm a new pilot with ~50 hours and experience in only a handful of planes. 

Edited by Knuckledragger

Posted (edited)

I have an extended aerobatic speedwing that was built to plans as far as the washout and I'm not all that impressed with it's capabilities. I didn't extend the flaperons but added an extension tube to move them out 3 feet away from the fuse. I'm sure if the wing was built with less washout it would perform a lot better. This Avid is fairly heavy at 667# 912ULS. VX 65 VY 75 and VS clean 48

I've never flown a STOL wing so I cant compare the two

I know not much help so we'll just call it 1 cent worth

Edited by birddog486

Posted

I have extended (aerobatic) speedwings with vortex generators.  I enjoy the way the plane flies.  Have a look at a video I made two days ago, messing around at my home field.  You can see how the wings are extended out past the flapperons.

Full disclosure: I'm a new pilot with ~50 hours and experience in only a handful of planes. 

Good video - But, I couldn't tell if you are making use of the flaps on TO & Ldgs - It would make a difference.

EDMO

Posted

No flap use during this video.  What specific "difference' are you referring to?

Good video - But, I couldn't tell if you are making use of the flaps on TO & Ldgs - It would make a difference.

EDMO

Posted

You can get in and out shorter using the flaps.

I have some time in and extended speed wing, but it was built that way.  I think if you extend a wing with 1 1/2" of wash in it already its not going to help too much.  I would try to take some out of it when I did the extension.

:BC:

Posted (edited)

You can get in and out shorter using the flaps.

I have some time in and extended speed wing, but it was built that way.  I think if you extend a wing with 1 1/2" of wash in it already its not going to help too much.  I would try to take some out of it when I did the extension.

:BC:

My Kitfox wings are 160" not counting the tips, which can vary from 12 to 18" more on each wing.  I modified my "STOL"  Eppler undercamber ribs to a modified Kitfox Riblett profile for better cruise, but built them originally with 1 1/2" washout, and wish it had been 1/2" - have not flown it yet.

EDMO

Edited by EDMO