Mass Confusalence in Spokane....KF 1

17 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

FAA lists that N # as being a Kitfox 1.  Jim Chuk

PS,  just did some more checking, and the previous owner of this plane owned and sold my first Avid to the guy I bought it from.  Funny coincidence. 

Edited by 1avidflyer

Posted (edited)

That is, in fact, a Kitfox model 1.  The shape of the door opening makes it.  The FAA agrees with me…  

There's even a "Kitfox" sticker on the tail.

Smells a little scam-ish to me...

Edited by Av8r3400

Posted

that was a very early model KF Model I.  That was one of the first off the line I think that prompted the court battle.  Later mod I had the round cowl.

No I don't have one, akflyerbob had one but he has since sold it and his mod III

:BC:

Posted

Jim, did you get the SN off of this KF1?

EDMO

Posted

Ed, Follow the link in my post to the FAA listing for it...

Posted

Got it Larry - Don't know if 0028 was a valid Denny number or not - Mine was 134 or 139 - Guess memory is failing!

EDMO

Posted

TJay's is # 11.  The one I got a month ago is # 151  Jim Chuk

Posted (edited)

TJay's is # 11.  The one I got a month ago is # 151  Jim Chuk

Did TJay's have the round cowl originally, or for the Cayuna engine?  I think the bump cowl started when Denny was going to use a round engine, which never got going?

EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Cayuna was Avid, not Kitfox.

Posted

Cayuna was Avid, not Kitfox.

And, Kitfox 1 was a "mis-located" Avid - I figured he had the Cayuna until the round engine fizzled, and then went to 532...Donno exactly when that was...I saw a Cayuna Avid in Soldotna, Alaska one time.

EDMO 

Posted

TJay's has a cowl like the picture of this Kitfox, except for  that ugly radiator part on the bottom.  Jim Chuk

Posted (edited)

There was a video (probably 8mm movie) of Dan Denny trying to take off in his first "Kitfox" - I watched it a long time ago.

Sad attempt at flying a TD - He ground-looped - ON TAKEOFF!   :lol:  Guess he was lucky not to get airborne - he would have surely crashed on landing!

EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Denny and Wilson didn't split until after the Cayuna A model Avid.

The first Kitfoxes had Rotax engines (hence that hideous cowl with chin radiator).

Posted (edited)

Denny and Wilson didn't split until after the Cayuna A model Avid.

The first Kitfoxes had Rotax engines (hence that hideous cowl with chin radiator).

My understanding was that Denny took the very first Avid kit (that was sold) off of the dock and split...maybe that was wrong?  I know they battled in court and Dean lost...

EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

I did inform the seller that it was not an Avid.  I copied him on the FAA registration.  All this well before I posted the listing here.  When they don't know what they are selling, even if they own it, my alarms go off.  Still, at half that price and lots of energy it could fly again......maybe. 

Posted

Ha! The seller has changed the ad to KF-1.  Ain't life grand when you can make a difference in this ol' world, however small.