Barnstormer sighting 912 III or IV ??

8 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Here's an offering on Barnstormers.  I talked to the guy for about 1/2 hour and he sounded like a pretty knowledgeable guy and I began to re-arrange priorities in my mind to maybe take a ride to go look.  Then I checked the FAA registration on line.  It's not a 4 it's a three; at least according to the feds.  I've run a weight and balance on a 1050 gross Kitfox with the 912UL and it wouldn't even hold half an hour of fuel with two guys on board.  Take a look at this and see what you all think. 

http://www.barnstormers.com/classified_1079862_1993+KITFOX+4.html

This one needs wing tanks and stuff but at least it's a iV-----but is it a IV 1200.  No free lunch.  http://www.barnstormers.com/classified_1055289_Kitfox+4-1200.html

Edited by Emory Bored

Posted

The first is defiantly not a IV. 

The second is in fact a IV 1200. The gap between the fin and rudder give it away.  There should be ribs in the fin and a faring filling the gap, but sometimes wasn't installed.   Even needing some tic, that's a great price. 

Posted

My IV-1050 will haul whatever you want to put in it and fly and perform excellent.  I've had it over 1400 and still climbed at 1000 fpm.  My plane has a refit that was offered by Skystar which upped the gross to 1200 (a float mod). 

Arguments can be made but in the real world the IV  same wing as the IV -1200, v, vi, vii and super sport. 

The weak link in the wing structure is the rod ends on the lift struts, and these are all the same, including the 1550 gross planes. 

Shrt story:  don't be shy of a 1050 model IV.  

Posted

That's good to know.  I brought it up here hoping that you would be around to comment.  The problem with the IV is that it's in New York....with 9 gallons of fuel.  I've got two in-op airplanes already but I want something to FLY NOW!  I've been on the ground for two years and many years before that.  So I've decided that debt is my friend maybe.  

The last two airplanes I've picked up across country I've driven like a madman for 16 or 12 hours a day. Not real bright really.  I would rather fly it home but not this time of year and certainly not with a 9 gallon fuel tank.

Just a little rambling here. 

What sort of effort would it take to install a couple of wing tanks before bringing it West?  I've worked a little firewall forward on a 912 IV 1050 but beyond that I don't know much about them.  As I recall the throttle linkage was far from ideal.  It was very difficult to get a good carb sync on it.  I think I synced it at about 2600 to be close at idle and full speed.  It ran pretty rough wide open when set up for 1400.  I was really impressed with the airplane on all counts beyond that.  The way the cowl fit together, the radiator set up, the control feel on the ground.  I didn't fly it, but it just felt right you know?  I have flown the Zenith and it's a bit of a wild thing; neutral yaw stability for instance.  It's more than happy to fly along like an old hound dog with it's tail end kinda trying to pass the front end.  I'll call the New York one tomorrow and try to get some sense of it's condition and history. 

Posted

PM sent. 

Posted

I remember that Plane, It was around here for a while, the guys that did the damage repair eat sleep and breath welding, I dont remember how much they had to fix but it wasn't much and was done very nicely. For some strange reason that is registered as a 3 the original builder screwed up, it is in fact a early model 4 and a very nice on at that, you could go jump in that one and fly it home no doubt about it.

Posted

Thanks for the help fellers.  Greg squared me away on the New York KF4.  I actually had been interested in that one several years ago when it was configured differently.  Neither one of these is for me. 

Posted

You probably saw this one on barnstormers also, but if not, here it is.  Jim Chuk

GREAT FLYING KITFOX IV CLASSIC • $28,900 • AVAILABLE FOR IMMEDIATE SALE 95 Kitfox IV Classic (1200) that is in excellent condition. Smooth running Rotax 912 80hp with great compression (does not use any oil). TT 675 hrs. SI-26-1994 completed on 11/16/2015 at a Rotax Service Center with no action needed. Grove gear, 8.00-6 Tires, Dual Cleveland brake system, Fresh paint on cowlings and flaperons. New wing tank in July '12, Warp drive 3 blade taper w/nickel, ground adjustable pitch. Full instrument panel, rebuilt Xponder, new intercom and radio, (Oct), Cruises 100 mph while sipping 4 gph fuel. No history of damage. Hangered in Marion, IN. • Contact Harry D. Hall, Owner - located Marion, IN USA • Telephone: 765-517-1539 . 765-677-2348 . • Posted November 24, 2015 Show all Ads posted by this AdvertiserRecommend This Ad to a FriendEmail AdvertiserSave to WatchlistReport This AdView Larger Pictures

1x1.gif

scaled_eac6_106x80_1062404-IMG_1385_5605scaled_7003_106x80_1062404-IMG_1386_5605scaled_3e85_106x80_1062404-IMG_1387_5605scaled_9ff1_106x80_1062404-IMG_1389_5605scaled_83bb_106x80_1062404-IMG_1390_5605