Bad 582 Mikuni fuel pump

4 posts in this topic

Posted

Has anyone ever had their Mikuni fuel pump go bad on a 582? What were the signs/what did it act like? Thanks, Bryce 

Posted

I haven't had one go bad. I did rebuild mine since the kit was cheap and it seemed like a good idea.

I would expect you'd experience fuel starvation and possibly a fuel drip from the weep hole. A common issue is a collapsing pulse line from the engine. This line should be inspected and possibly replaced at each condition inspection.  The common Rotax suppliers sell special pulse line. 

-- Sed

2 people like this

Posted

I have had a pump start to go south. They don't all up and fail, they just get weak. 

This is one of those things that does wear more quickly with ethanol fuel. Rebuilding the pump is super simple. it's some diaphragmms and gaskets that take 5 minutes to swap out. 

It's so easy that now I rebuild mine every year along with the other yearly maintenance stuff. 

Buy two:

http://www.cps-parts.com/catalog/eppages/dualpump.php?clickkey=10931

1 person likes this

Posted

I have had them go out on my older sleds.  There is a weep hole in them and normally fuel will start leaking out that weep hole if the diaphragm is cracking.  It will also get a much weaker fuel flow and typically you will see bubbles in the lines between the carb and the pump.  For the 12 or 18 bucks for the rebuild kit I just make it a part of my "condition inspection"  A half dozen screws and about 15 minutes and its rebuilt.  I change the hoses out too.  For 10 bucks worth of hose and a few minutes time its not worth it to me to wait till the line gets brittle to change it out.

:BC:

3 people like this