Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

About to drop Avemco

12 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I recently had to cancel my debit card due to Fraudulent charges. Despite me trying for 2 years to have my insurance payment come straight from my bank account, they are the only bill I have that still require a Visa card to run for payment. I haven't missed a payment in 6 years. So when my payment didn't clear the other day because the card was just closed did they call? Nope. Did they email me? Nope despite me ensuring they had the right address and for it to be my primary means of contact the last time I had an issue. 

What they did do was send a notice of policy cancellation in the mail within 3 days of the declined payment. 

One more thing that I don't need to deal with while deployed half way around the world. Not looking forward to eating up Skype credit and making a phone call in the middle of the night to make a payment on a different card till my new one arrives from the states. Time to start shopping for someone else. 

Edited by C5Engineer
1 person likes this

Posted

Yuck.

That's quite a sad display of customer service. I have recommended AVEMCO to countless people and one such stupid act can make one regret that.

I'd be somewhat surprised if this wasn't "fixed" within reasonable time...

Posted (edited)

It was fixed the second they got their money. It's just frustrating that after being a loyal customer for 6 years their first course of action was to threaten to cancel my policy within days of not receiving payment with no attempt to contact me except via snail mail. Every other regularly scheduled bill I have such as car insurance is direct debit straight out of the bank account so you don't have to deal with lost, stolen, or expired debit cards. No idea why they have not gone this way yet. Maybe I need to go back to writing them a check.

Edited by C5Engineer

Posted

Considering how many insurances I had at any given time, I'd say a simple email reminder, maybe a week or two prior to expiration should be possible. I get alerts from god knows how many outfits when my credit card on file expires, usually well in advance. Everything is on autopilot while I am in Germany. If my hosting company renews hosting and my credit card expiration date falls on or before the renewal time, I get alerted.

I get extremely irritated when a company pulls moves like this on deployed peeps. I understand that a non-paid policy must be cancelled at some point, but I would expect any company to consider possible deployment for members of our armed forces and to try every possible way to get in touch with the customer, prior to expiration & subsequent cancelling. If the glorious lip service ridden pilots associations manage to pester peeps to death for a lousy renewal, then an insurance carrier ought to be able to top that. That's often some serious money...

If its already fixed, good for you!

;)

Posted

You must be a trusting guy.  I try to run all of this type of payment through my credit card because if the billing party messes up I have some recourse.  With direct debit, once the money's gone it's harder to get back.  Also, you may be able to get cash back rewards for the charges. Anyway, Avemco should take a hit for that kind of shoddy service.

Posted (edited)

I guess I've been lucky in the fact that I've never had a billing issue with anything coming straight out of the account. Shortly after I struck out on my own several family members fell on hard times and ended up declaring bankruptcy mostly because of holes they had dug with credit card debt. Because of that I've always strayed away from them even though I know when used responsibly they can have good bennies. Pretty closed minded I suppose but the only one I've ever had in the 18 years since I left home was a Sears card and I've only made 3 transactions on it ever for appliances to get the 12 mos same as cash deal. I take pride in knowing that in this day in age I am able save every month as well as invest in a fairly diverse portfolio and aside from my house I have zero debt. This has not been an easy task as an enlisted guy who likes his toys :)

All is well with the insurance company for now. Wonder if the same thing would have happened on a million dollar jet policy.

Edited by C5Engineer
1 person likes this

Posted

You must be a trusting guy.  I try to run all of this type of payment through my credit card because if the billing party messes up I have some recourse.  With direct debit, once the money's gone it's harder to get back.  Also, you may be able to get cash back rewards for the charges. Anyway, Avemco should take a hit for that kind of shoddy service.

Agree with this 100%, I never authorize anyone access into my bank accounts. It's bad enough that you could find yourself hacked for sensitive info, having that info out at multiple places just increases the odds IMHO. We've seen huge security breach problems with HD, Lowes, Target, Blue Cross, JP Morgan et al, bottom line they SUCK at security. And yes I DO love the rewards, several thousand $ per year. Kinda foolish not to take advantage of that if you can, a lot easier than working for after tax dollars!

Joey - don't feel bad, everyone had been relegated to being a number by big business. Gad, look at CC companies these days... notice how many are at the highest legal rates of interest despite Fed Funds being in a .25bp coma for how long now, 7 years? And late fees skyrocketing to $30, $40 even $50 for monthly cycle? Yeah you're a number all right, and one they hope and pray you fudge up so they can get their pound of flesh. They gotta make money to pay those big salaries you know.

Posted

I recently had to cancel my debit card due to Fraudulent charges. Despite me trying for 2 years to have my insurance payment come straight from my bank account, they are the only bill I have that still require a Visa card to run for payment. I haven't missed a payment in 6 years. So when my payment didn't clear the other day because the card was just closed did they call? Nope. Did they email me? Nope despite me ensuring they had the right address and for it to be my primary means of contact the last time I had an issue. 

What they did do was send a notice of policy cancellation in the mail within 3 days of the declined payment. 

One more thing that I don't need to deal with while deployed half way around the world. Not looking forward to eating up Skype credit and making a phone call in the middle of the night to make a payment on a different card till my new one arrives from the states. Time to start shopping for someone else. 

This is a good insurance company venting thread.

My vent is w/my State Farm auto policy.  When I've over payed them, do they credit it towards my account or send me back a check?  No, they don't bother telling me until I get a notice that they've forwarded my excess payment(s) to the state (NC in this case).  So they wash their hands of it basicly and now I have to haggle w/NC  and find I have to to wait till after Dec to get my $120 back.  WTF!

Posted

I guess I've been lucky in the fact that I've never had a billing issue with anything coming straight out of the account. Shortly after I struck out on my own several family members fell on hard times and ended up declaring bankruptcy mostly because of holes they had dug with credit card debt. Because of that I've always strayed away from them even though I know when used responsibly they can have good bennies. Pretty closed minded I suppose but the only one I've ever had in the 18 years since I left home was a Sears card and I've only made 3 transactions on it ever for appliances to get the 12 mos same as cash deal. I take pride in knowing that in this day in age I am able save every month as well as invest in a fairly diverse portfolio and aside from my house I have zero debt. This has not been an easy task as an enlisted guy who likes his toys :)

All is well with the insurance company for now. Wonder if the same thing would have happened on a million dollar jet policy.

Kudos and hat-tip to you Joey for being fiscally responsible and staying out of the matrix.

My son, at 23 and recently minted AF 2nd Lt follows the same strategy as yours.  He's already started and well funded a retirement account and continues to drive the '94 Honda Accord I gave him while he was USAFA.  He plans on buying a new truck once he's fully funded the account he's set aside for it to pay in cash at the beginning '16.  He likes his toys to and knowing he owns them outright -:)

Posted

I think maybe now days there are so many deadbeats they have to have strict policies. Like every thing else a few bad apples makes it bad for everybody else.  For the first time ever I was late to pay my credit card balance last month. I just forgot to pay it on time. They charged me $35 late few. After getting the late charge I called them and explained I just forgot. They checked my records and could see I paid my bill in full and on time for years. The person from the credit card company said yes we will credit your account the $35 late fee on your next billing statment. I think sometimes we have to remember these people deal with a bunch of assholes every day, and I think they know there are still some straight shooters out there yet and they will work with you.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Got to get my $00,000.00 Worth of Bitches about that Rotten State Fraud - Had my house and contents insured with them and it burned completely for some unknown cause - Had to fight with the Bastards and pay my attorneys for 2 1/2 years to ever get 1/2 of what I lost.  The rotten SOBs even tried to tell me that my wife burned it, and they told her that I burned it!  There was not one sign of arson!  The house was built in 1935 and had old BX light-duty wiring, and I had replaced about 3/4 of it with new wiring.  I think that may have been the cause.

I was treated like they would put me in jail if that meant they didn't have to pay off!

Anyway,  I will never give SF another $ for anything, and warning others not to trust them either.  One guy admitted that they keep attorneys on the payroll, and pick out about 10% of cases for them to earn their pay by screwing clients.

EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

+1 paying for most things with a credit card (not debit, debit visa whatever). 

Joey, sorry to hear about the debit card fraud (BTDT) and about the lousy, archaic service at Avemco.   I bet they still use fax machines and a Xerox copier. 8)

Technology has enabled many forms of communication, esp instant comms.  Its a simple matter for a firm to automatically issue an email to the client/cardholder on cc auth failure.