Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Fresh Engine First Time Out Suggestions

11 posts in this topic

Posted

Well, FINALLY after what seemed like an eternity (~5weeks) Lockwood is releasing my plane from service.  I had the 582 overhauled and broken in.  Tomorrow, weather permitting, I'll be able to fly again. 

That said, me being a newbie pilot (30 hours, 8 weeks), what things should I add to and or focus on in tomorrow's preflight and initial flight?  I'm comfortable actually flying the plane, but I don't want to overlook something that more experienced pilots here might have checked.

Posted

They overhauled your engine AND did the reinstall of the engine??

Posted (edited)

For the first flight with the airplane just out of maintenance it is always a good idea to stay above the airport for about 1/2 hour at least.  Climb up a couple thousand feet above the pattern altitude and circle around up there while you watch (the gauges) listen and smell for anything amiss.  Then land and do another thorough inspection of the engine for anything loose, leaking, chafining etc.

I am assuming if they broke the engine in they retorqued the heads, exhaust and intakes afterwards.

Edited by tcj
1 person likes this

Posted

They overhauled your engine AND did the reinstall of the engine??

Correct.  I had just enough time to fly it down there and hand them the keys and get back to work.  Like you Joey, I travel a LOT.  So I had them do everything.

Posted (edited)

I agree with Tom. Leaks are the big thing to watch for. I flew over the airport for 45 mins in mine after my Rotax Rick overhaul recently. I couldn't stand it much longer then that and went and found a field to land in. I have heard various ways to break in a new motor but as a general rule on a two stroke just run it. I was pretty nice to mine for the first two hours as far as cruise power settings go. I used to rebuild my 2 stroke race bike on Friday night and race it Saturday morning. Before I sent my engine of to Rick I pulled all my jets and visually verified the size and wrote it down and also noted where I had my idle and aircrew settings so I had a baseline for when it came back. I wouldn't think they would mess with your carb settings but something to think about. Hopefully they didn't mess with your prop pitch either. Depending on how tired your engine was you may make more RPM now that it's fresh.

Edited by C5Engineer
2 people like this

Posted

I agree with Tom. Leaks are the big thing to watch for. I flew over the airport for 45 mins in mine after my Rotax Rick overhaul recently. I couldn't stand it much longer then that and went and found a field to land in. I have heard various ways to break in a new motor but as a general rule on a two stroke just run it. I was pretty nice to mine for the first two hours as far as cruise power settings go. I used to rebuild my 2 stroke race bike on Friday night and race it Saturday morning. Before I sent my engine of to Rick I pulled all my jets and visually verified the size and wrote it down and also noted where I had my idle and aircrew settings so I had a baseline for when it came back. I wouldn't think they would mess with your carb settings but something to think about. Hopefully they didn't mess with your prop pitch either. Depending on how tired your engine was you may make more RPM now that it's fresh.

Engine had 295 hours and 15 years since new according to the engine log.  It ran fine (to me) with no noted leaks or weeps prior to O/H.  <300 hours across 15 years in Florida was my main concern for this engine.  Labor report (attached) shows the carbs were gone through.  My home field a 1.2 hr flight from KSEF, so hopefully jetting etc. is unchanged. 

your advice regarding notation of things like jetting and settings is duly noted! :)

AvidWork.jpg

Posted

If they did the ground break in then I am pretty sure they had the prop set right otherwise water temp, RPM and EGT's would not be where they need to be to get the one hour break in.  Just do a GOOD preflight to check for leaks.  Warm it up on the ground, shut down and check for leaks again then take to the sky's.  As Tom said, I would hang out close to the airport or stay over landable terrain for the first hour or so then head for home if all is well.  Keep a weather eye on those gauges and make sure they stay in the green!

:BC:

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I tried to pick up the plane yesterday, but by the time I was ready to fly home winds were prevailing out of the E 15k gusting to 20k and my home field only has rwy 19/35  Grrr.

Fortunately my flight instructor was there with another student.  I waited around as the wind picked up, inspecting my plane.  Then spent 2 hours with him after lunch doing crosswind take offs and landings in the (to me) stiff breeze in a small Tecnam.  We made sure to use the runways most perpendicular to the sock and I was able to practice side-on and quartering gusty crosswinds.  2 hours and ~24 t/o&landings later I was mentally bushed, yet satisfied that the 90 min drive to Sebring was worthwhile, even if I did return home in a car. :unsure:

Edited by Knuckledragger
2 people like this

Posted

Finally!  A couple days of unhindered flying. I'm comfortable with moderate crosswinds now.  I flew to my heart's content today. Lots of take-off & landing practice with crosswinds later in the day, slow flight & stalls, light aerobatic maneuvers (my inexperienced attempt at), and just general flyin around. It was a great day!

12063607_10205297308367570_179306351653437490_n.jpg

12191039_10205297308407571_6231580864830296844_n.jpg

12191713_10205297308487573_5850547495519170052_n.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

I agree with Tom. Leaks are the big thing to watch for. I flew over the airport for 45 mins in mine after my Rotax Rick overhaul recently. I couldn't stand it much longer then that and went and found a field to land in. I have heard various ways to break in a new motor but as a general rule on a two stroke just run it. I was pretty nice to mine for the first two hours as far as cruise power settings go. I used to rebuild my 2 stroke race bike on Friday night and race it Saturday morning. Before I sent my engine of to Rick I pulled all my jets and visually verified the size and wrote it

AvidWork.jpg

I think with the age on the engine, new seals and a complete inspection are in order.  I had a 582 that had quit on the guy before I got it.  Seemed to run okey afterwords.  When I tore it down you could see the scuffs on the pistons but couldn't see them before it was tore down.  I had to get it bored out to the next size.  The guy mentions that the rings were stuck and he had the heads off.  Did he actually pull the cylinders and do a proper decarbon job?  After he gets the engine gone through, then make sure the filters and carbs are clean .  Stock needle jet and jet needle set maybe 1 step leaner than stock setting, and probably 162 main jets to start with.  CPS has a chart in their catalog that says what settings should be at different altitudes.  Just my 2 cents, after flying behind at least

a dozen different two strokes, half of them at least my own.  Jim Chuk

Posted

What the going labor rate per hour these days?

Im in SoCal and I'm considering taking the 16 hour Rotax rebuild class at California Power Sytems. I'm wondering how much, if any in the hole I'd be, by dropping my Avid off, and having a shop do the work like you chose to do.  Part of me want to learn, but the other part of me wants to ditch the 2 stroke in the future. I dont know how prudent it wiuld be to have the rebuild know how under my belt if I mive away from Rotax 2 strokes. 

image.jpeg