Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Idle Brain B4 The Holiday

5 posts in this topic

Posted

While reading about a DIY ADS-B in device, I tripped over a write-up about Stall Strips. I've not seen any mention of them here. I now have some insight of their purpose and use. Seeking sage info/advice about them. Are they advantageous or even needed on Avids/Foxes? Since I've not been aloft in one yet I have no sense of stall indication  in one.

Thanks

Lou

Posted (edited)

Lou,

Perhaps you can post what you learned about Stall Strips.

I got info about them in AvSchool, and have some info in books stored away.

Best that I can remember, is that stall break may come earlier and be sharper without as much warning :huh: Also, they ensure that the inner part of the wing stalls first.

I think they are an "add on" for more modern high-speed or swept wings that were made with too little washout.

I like the way the old Cessna shakes a lot before the break.

Whey would I want my bird to stall earlier and without a lot of warning?

I have the washout in my wings, so my stall should start in the inner wing and if it doesn't just mush, would be controllable.

EdMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Stall strips cause the inboard section of the wing to stall before wing tips stall.  This gives the pilot a warning that a full stall is eminent while the wing tips are still flying and thus aileron control still available to level the plane,  while pressure on the stick is relaxed to break the stall.  Avids and kitfox accomplish this with wing twist (washout).  The inboard section has more angle of attack than the wing tips.

Posted

What Tom said.  No need for stall strips, the washout is way more than enough.  The plane gives you lots of warning before stall and even then it is more of a mush.  Even accelerated stalls are a non event if the ball is centered and again, it gives you a pretty good warning.

The thin aluminum turtle deck is a good stall warning system on mine.  The wind will start burbling over it and it will rattle pretty good well before any type of break.

The DYI ADSB In looks pretty easy and cool.  If we had more users here transmitting it may be worthwhile using one, but I doubt it will be of much use here for a few years.

:BC:

Posted

Thanks for the responses. After posting, I read about the effect of washout and realized these airplanes have that design feature. I think I remember a few posts here that guys were, civilly, arguing the benefit of more and less washout.

Ed

Thanks for your attempt to get me to post more meaningful content :french11: but I think my questions, perhaps yours, have been answered.

I saw on AOPA today that the FAA has authorized unmanned flight of PAPER AIRPLANES(!) yet they won't comit on the elimination of the 3rd class medical....

1 person likes this