Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

KF FLAPERON

15 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi guys,

Needing to get a pilot side Flaperon for a KF2. John an Debra will be looking into manufacturing

these again sometime in the winter. Brett at Airdale is not able to provide service at the

moment. I understand some Avid Flaperons may also fit. A used one will suit me fine but if there

is anyone that can build a new one, drop me a

line.

Posted (edited)

Rick,

Where are you located?   I have a left KF1 flaperon but don't want to crate and ship it - I am near St.Louis, Missouri.

EdMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Rick,

Where are you located? I have a left KF1 flaperon but don't want to crate and ship it - I am near St.Louis, Missouri.

EdMO

Posted

Rick,

Where are you located? I have a left KF1 flaperon but don't want to crate and ship it - I am near St.Louis, Missouri.

EdMO

Hi Ed,

I am located in Puerto Rico. The flaperon can be easily shipped via UPS or Fedex without requiring wooden crating. Just some protective padding. Of course I would pay for shipping.

If you want to quote me for the flaperon it's better if you email me at :

rickpabon@yahoo.com

Or call 787-404-3562

Hope to hear from you.

Rick

Posted

Ed,

I'm located in Puerto Rico and the flaperon can be easily shipped via UPS or Fedex in a box with protective padding. I would pay for shipping of course. Quote me to see if I can afford this. It would be better if you email me at

rickpabon@yahoo.com Or call me 787-404-3562

Hope to hear from you soon.

Posted (edited)

Rick,

I don't do emails, and don't much like phone calls - You can PM me on here.

UPS will only ship a flaperon by truck freight, and that costs a lot.

I don't think that it would get to you without damage without being boxed.

Have you tried to buy one from Kitfox?

I would want about half of new price plus boxing and shipping.

I am sure that Kitfox can ship cheaper than I can.

EdMo

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Rick,

UPS will only ship a flaperon by truck freight, and that costs a lot.

I don't think that it would get to you without damage without being boxed.

Have you tried to buy one from Kitfox?

I would want about half of new price plus boxing and shipping.

I am sure that Kitfox can ship cheaper than I can.

EdMo

How long is a flaperon? (my Avid is 1000 miles away right now).  I just got two new trim tabs for my Cherokee, which are a little wider than I remember my flaperons, but shorter.  The box is 5 feet long, and well built.  The body is 1 by lumber with a top and bottom cardboard screwed on with drywall screws and washers.  It was filled with the shipping equivalent of pour foam.  It came UPS ground.

Mark

Posted (edited)

How long is a flaperon? (my Avid is 1000 miles away right now).  I just got two new trim tabs for my Cherokee, which are a little wider than I remember my flaperons, but shorter.  The box is 5 feet long, and well built.  The body is 1 by lumber with a top and bottom cardboard screwed on with drywall screws and washers.  It was filled with the shipping equivalent of pour foam.  It came UPS ground.

Mark

Mark,

A flaperon including control tube is about 12.5 feet long - boxed would be about 13 feet. UPS ground will not ship anything over 8 feet long. It has to go by truck freight.

EdMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Mark,

A flaperon including control tube is about 12.5 feet long - boxed would be about 13 feet. UPS ground will not ship anything over 8 feet long. It has to go by truck freight.

EdMO[/quot

Ed

You are absolutly right about the flaperon dimensions and the ground shipping. Kitfox currently does not manufacture that flaperon any more. They are planning to bring out the old jigs during the winter to begin manufacture. Airedale is incommunicado. He was the only other person constructing a flaperon for KF.

Posted

You are absolutly right about the flaperon dimensions and the ground shipping. Kitfox currently does not manufacture that flaperon any more. They are planning to bring out the old jigs during the winter to begin manufacture. Airedale is incommunicado. He was the only other person constructing a flaperon for KF.

Posted (edited)

Mark,

EdMO

Bummer....  But I want to see the truck that can get from Missouri to Puerto Rico!  :)

Edited by mark

Posted

Mark,

I think they call them "containers".

I shipped a set of boxed flaperons from Missouri to North Carolina about 12 years ago, and I think the freight bill was over $300.

EdMO

Posted

I was just yanking a chain Ed.  Truck freight is very expensive, makes me understand that show 'shipping wars' more!

I forgot about the dimension limits for UPS/Fedex - I was only thinking of the weight limits.

Given that the Flaperons would have to get on a ship somewhere between Missouri and Puerto Rico, they'd probably take a short detour to China first as well.

Mark

1 person likes this

Posted

I'm sure the people in China have a clone of the kitfox airplane that they produce. I bet there is so many airplanes out there that have all the same parts on them. It seems that when some one produces a good airplane design ten other people copy it almost to a perfect match. I think if I was this guy I would just get some blue foam and aluminum  and make one, It shouldn't take more than a 100 bucks.

Posted (edited)

I had a guy with a sheet metal box brake make some long aluminum trim parts for my house - It was only an 8 foot brake, but he made trim parts with two 90 degree bends in a part about 20 feet long.

If he has a right-hand flaperon, then he could use that as a pattern - possibly just buy the hangers from Kitfox, or make them.

I am sorry that it would cost him so much to ship mine to PR.

EdMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri