Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Just Checking In

5 posts in this topic

Posted

Hey guys,

Just checking in with the Forum and posting a bit of an up-date on flying.  The weather here in Western Washington has been un-seasonably warm and dry.  So I have been having a mess of a time trying to get the Hirth engine jetted and a the prop pitch set properly to keep the EGTs in the proper range.  I was able to  get in several hours of flying this last week-end and finally enjoyed the last hour of set the throttle and just fly the plane.

I finally ended up with a huge main-jet (190), fairly large needle -jet (280) and the needle set on the 2nd groove from the top.  I also found that the adjustment / balance of the throttle cables were slightly out so I tuned that up a bit.  

I was able to get the prop adjustment to 11.75 degrees.  That is a bit tall for STOL work but flying out of Jefferson County in Port Townsend (3000ft) with asphalt is not too bad. 

As soon as the temps drop I'll probably have to go through it all over again.

No long trips or radical flying over ground I can't land on yet but I have managed to get 10 hours on the engine that sat in a garage for 9 years and have had no problems....yet.  After I get a few more hours on it I'll head out for some off airport fun, maybe the beach at Copalis. 

MarkD

Posted

When you get confidence in your bird you should fly it over to the East side. We (collectively) have 5 Avids in various stages from flying to wrecked. Two are flying with 912's. One with 100 HP. It will set your hair on fire. My friend Max and I are trying to bring a couple of Fat Avids into flying condition, mine with a 100 HP 912 and Max's with an 80 hp 912. I have my Magnum (0-320) that is in pieces waiting for me to complete the Fat Avid to get going on it. Plenty of Avids to look at and BS about!

Posted

Chris,

I will definitely keep your side of the Mountains in mind.  I think a Stampede Pass or Columbia river trip to the Tri Cities would be fun after the fire season.  Remind me of which airport you are flying out from and I'll work up a flight plan to be executed in the future. 

I flew Stevens Pass in a RANs S-6S (912, 100HP) this last May when I delivered the S-6 to my Father-In-Law in N. Idaho.  That might be a real seat clincher in a 2-cycle powered Avid.  Lots of steep hard rocks and no place to set down. 

I have a friend trying to finish his CH-701 and we should be stomping around together soon.

MarkD

Posted

What kid of performance are you getting with the Hirth?  Take off distance, climb and cruise speeds, fuel burn etc.

:BC:

Posted

Leonard,

Right now with typical temps higher than normal and density altitude at sea level being between 1500ft and 2000ft and prop pitched for cruise (11.75 degrees):

take off distance around 300ft - 500ft (lifting off at 55mph indicated) Static RPM 5000

Climb at 500 - 700fpm at 65mph  5500RPM

Cruise at 90 - 95mph indicated 5800RPM

Fuel burn around 5GPH ( not measured accurately just averaged over several hours and top offs)

When I had the prop at 11.25 degrees I was lifting off at 50mph in about 200ft, climb at 1000fpm @ 60mph, cruise was 85 - 90mph @ 6000rpm.

At the lower prop pitch I had to keep RPM up to keep EGT below 1200

I have a 72" PowerFin F blade prop and  gear box is 2.59 : 1

As soon as the marine flow comes in again and temps drop to realistic I'll have to go through it again and adjust stuff.

I'm collecting the needed materials to install a HACMAN type of mixture control but I will probably go to a 200 mainjet to give me the default rich condition.

MarkD

1 person likes this