Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Airdale Backcountry PROUD New Owner : )

31 posts in this topic

Posted

How critical is rib stitching/stapling? Avid did not specify it because of the wide cap strip for glue. The buzzard I have is an aluminum rib with the fabric glued as well. No stitching/staples or screws. Just wondering.

Posted

Many many builders did not stitch. I have seen several though where the glue un sticks from the bottom of the under cambered wing on the outboard ribs. This creates a dangerous situation to proper lift. I have heard that having glue only was one of the driving factors to the original VNE speed but don't know for sure. Many Avids out there now with big engines are cruising faster than the original VNE speeds.

Posted (edited)

IFMT,

1.  Do you have a manual?

2.  Can you contact the original maker? Company?

3.  I have never seen aluminum ribs that were glued, and not attached to fabric by some mechanical method.

4.  I think the 1" wood capstrips would glue better than aluminum.   Anything after that is an option.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

I don't have a manual but I will try to contact the company that produces the plane. It is still produced as far as I can tell in Ontario.

Posted

IFMT,

3.  I have never seen aluminum ribs that were glued, and not attached to fabric by some mechanical method.

Ed - my Aerotrek A240 has fabric glued directly to the aluminum ribs with no additional mechanical attachments.

Posted (edited)

Thanks Doug - Now I have heard of Two.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri