Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Ford Tri-Motor

8 posts in this topic

Posted

Our chapter hosted the EAA's Ford Tri-motor this week.  I logged .3 hrs right seat time and what a fun plane to fly.  Brought the Q-2 over to get a picture under the wing but did not make it over with the Avid.

post-267-0-66785000-1435535717.jpg

post-267-0-43320600-1435535718.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Kool - was the GPS standard equipment?   I used to know where an original Tri-motor mail plane was located.  A friend or relative of my family flew it.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri
2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Paul,

I remember the markings on the side of the Tri-motor Ford parked on a small private strip south of Kennett, Missouri -

It said U.S. MAIL, and Pilot Bryant or Briant Rice - I have looked for those markings every time I see one, which has been only one or two times since the 1950's.

Just some memories you brought back...I had some photos of it until my house burned in 1976..

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

That is mighty neat Ed, I wonder if it is still around some where. They only made them from 1925-1933 a total of 199 were built. There is said to be one in Jackson, WY that is still flying but I have not see it. Guess I will have to get busy and research into that.

The one that was here had three P/W 450 HP each and cruised about the same speed as my Avid. It sips a mere 60 g/h.

Just an unrelated side note, we had a fellow come out for a ride that said he flew Beavers during the Vietnam War, I didn't know that we used them there and Korea also. Fun weekend for sure.

Posted

sweet pics and what a kick to get to fly it! 

:BC:

Posted (edited)

Paul,

I flew the 1959 Beaver (Army L-20) (Birddog was L-19) in Germany from 1960 to 1962 - No doubt that they were in Nam - Korea I thought was before they were made?  Lots I don't know...

EdMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Interesting Ed, what was the L-20 used for that you flew?

Posted (edited)

Paul,

L20 mostly travel for personnel between units, couriers hauling classified papers, small cargo, Flying time for pilots assigned to command duties, also for Liason, spotter duties...We also had the Otter, L23, which I hitchhiked a ride on from Etain, France to Stuttgart, Germany....Same uses for L19 Birddog, except smaller.

A Captain and I used to chase a fox near the airstrip (he was pilot) in a Bell H-13 Chopper, until one day we topped a hill at almost ground level and got too close to a farmer's chicken house and scared hell out of his chickens - They were flying out over his fence - Got our ass chewed on return to base - If you killed a chicken on the road the Army had to pay for the chicken, and all the eggs it would have laid, and all the chicks that it would have hatched, and so on - $$$$ for German farmer, and our $ was equal to 4 German dollars (Marks) - Of course, his chickens quit laying eggs for a week, or more!  :lol:

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri
1 person likes this