Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Metric AN bolting (Engine Mount)?

4 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Is there a source for metric AN bolting?  The bolts used on my engine mount (side mount Rotax 582) are grade 10.9 and metric.  One of the local EAA Tech Counselors has seen AW inspections not pass recently if engine mounts bolts are not AN.  Not sure about this, but want to see if anyone knows more details.

1.  Is AN bolting required for an engine mount, or can I used the 10.9 bolting?

2.  If AN bolting is required, anyone know a source?

Many thanks,

Larry S.

Edited by LSaupe

Posted

I don't think there are any AN metric bolts.  Never heard of a plane not passing for the reason you give....  Jim Chuk

Posted (edited)

All of your engine bolts are metric - There is no requirement that I have ever heard of that requires AN bolts or any other "certified" material or parts to be on an "Experimental" aircraft, although it is commonly recognized to be "good practice" to use them.

You can tell the DAR that the metric bolts are "standard" for that engine, which is approved by the Kit Manufacturer, and there are thousands of them in use. 

ONLY if he asks!  "Don't ask - Don't tell"  !!!

EDMO A&P / AMT

You can always ask the inspector to show you the FAR that requires something - 99% of the FARs don't apply to the Experimental category.  If it is not written as an FAR for "Experimental Aircraft", then it is not applicable.

Marking, FAR45?, inspecting, FAR43,appD., and the parts for Night Flight and Pilot requirements do apply.

I haven't checked, but there may be metric bolts in the MS (Military Specs), which are just as accepted as AN,

but again. I don't think you need to worry.

Check Spruce catalog.

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

I bought mine at Fleet and Farm store.