Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Avid Catalina: first Condition Inspection, advice on logbooks?

7 posts in this topic

Posted

After about 18 months of tearing things apart and rabbit-hole projects on the plane, N157AB is (hopefully) ready for her condition inspection.  She had a CI right after I bought her, but this is the first CI I've done that involves work and logbook entries about things I've done.   I have a hand-written journal extensively (and sloppily) detailing the 500 or so hours of work I did, and was going to condense that down into a printed-out insert that I was going to staple or paste into the logbooks. 

Any thoughts on my logbook?   I broke out the two major projects (new flaperons and wing rib repair) into separate write-ups that I gave to my A&P to get his input on the proposed work before I did it.   Do you think it's OK to just make a logbook entry that says basically "Fabricated new flaperons, see attached" and keep those writeups with the logs? 

The work is all scattered over the year, do you think just one date and signature is fine? 

My logbook entries I'm going to paste/staple into logbooks.

Separate wing rib repair writeup

Separate writeup about new fiberglass flaperons

Posted

Don't think you really need to add all that info to your logbook, when I changed from a 582 to a Jabiru engine in my MK IV, I pretty much just stated what I had done, remove xxx, install xxx, engine and prop serial #s ect. Didn't get into details. Just looked at it, and it was 5 1/2 hand written lines on 8 1/2" x 11" paper. Not bad to keep a record of what all you did, but I'm not sure it has to be in the log book. Jim Chuk

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

The only required log book entry in an Amateur Built experimental is the condition inspection.  However, I enter everything I do to my Kitfox.  It will be a valuable asset if I ever decide to sell the plane.  It also keeps all my information in one place when I need to look back to find out when something was replaced...like wheel bearings or spark plugs... and what I did to repair something.

Edited by tcj

Posted

Keep the logbook clean. I only use mine for condition inspections and time change items such as plugs and gearbox oil. I keep a separate binder with tech details, photos, and detailed write ups from my projects. When i was issued my AW cert I spent many hours building a nice detailed package showing my work and he didn't even look at it. Ever since then anything official for the plane is the bare minimum required.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Does anyone have a copy of the Condition Inspection completion statement as shown in the FAR?

Maybe NOT what the inspector wrote in your logbook....

EdMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

This is what was written in all my AnP conditional inspections, and it's the same as was mandated in my operating limitations paperwork from the FAA. : 

I certify that this aircraft has been inspected on (insert date) in accordance with the scope and detail of Appendix D to Part 43 and was found to be in a condition for safe operation.   

I didn't go digging in the FARs to make sure this is correct, but I'll bet it is.  Jim Chuk

Posted (edited)

My flying buddy pointed out that this statement from the FAR does not say "airworthy",

but "condition for safe operation" must mean the same.

Guess the FAA don't want to ever hear that our "experimental" birds are "airworthy"?  :lol:

Thanks,

Ed

Edited by Ed In Missouri