Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Evening Flights

11 posts in this topic

Posted

I though I would post these pics from a few recent flights with some pretty cool evening light.  The one trip a while back I did a quick run out to the lodge one evening to catch up with Leni and got a great quick dinner of BBQ shrimp!  Then made a rush back home before it got too dark.  I had just got an Ipad Mini with Foreflight and synthetic forward vision and was trying to figure it out.  Pretty cool technology for no hard wiring; just a Garmin glo bluetooth to the Ipad.

post-75-0-50124500-1431200334_thumb.jpg

post-75-0-24456000-1431200394_thumb.jpg

post-75-0-65086200-1431200406_thumb.jpg

post-75-0-62159300-1431200442_thumb.jpg

post-75-0-87157500-1431200468_thumb.jpg

post-75-0-48806500-1431200494_thumb.jpg

5 people like this

Posted

Nice shots Randy!  I have been looking at the ipad and foreflight.  I downloaded it on my iphone but its too small of a screen to be useful.  I have an android tablet but it does not look like they are very well supported so I may have to break down and get a mini.. It would be nice to be able to grab it and switch between planes.  Are you running an ipad that is wifi only or do you have a cell subscription as well?

I have to go to Georgia this time home so I don't know if I will get to do much flying or not.  One of these days we need to hook up again for a day of strip bagging.

:BC:

Posted

great view randy.I think you got the most hardcore avid out there.

Posted (edited)

Hey Leni,  download Avare on your android tablet.  It's a free Aviation GPS.  I think it works pretty good, and your absolutely can't beat the price.  It's got lots of nice features.  Jim Chuk

Great pictures Randy!

Edited by Jim Chuk
1 person likes this

Posted

Awesome pictures and a pretty nice gravel bar but with your tires probably doesnt matter much to that beast

Posted

Jim I have avare, but it's not in the same league as foreflight. Foreflight has many more advanced features like terrain avoidance etc. Maybe I need to play with avare more on my phone and see if it has more features I have not used yet.

Posted

Avare latest release has a lot more features.

1 person likes this

Posted

I will update mine and check it out then.  Thanks!

Posted

Leni,

I am an extreme novis at this so I can't tell you much.  I don't have a cell subscription so have to download using wifi or iTunes.  I can see it being very useful for cross country into unfamiliar areas and for very easy route planning with the ability to rubberband your route  Plus has a tone of other info like all the airport info for wherever you can imagine, manuals, anything flying you want to load.  The synthetic vision is pretty good and the terrain avoidance is far superior to the Garmin 296 (that is all I have used with that feature)  This shows terain avoidance colors on the forward vision as well as the map.  You can switch between several maps including the sectional charts.  The terrain map that is in there is not very detailed and you cannot some in and see anything like on google maps, but there is another map I have not used yet that I think is more like google maps but you have to open the map through wifi in the areas you want and it will store it in the iPad as long as there is storage space.  All the maps are stored when they are downloaded or updated so you don't need wifi or cell connections when you are using them.  Like you say, you can use it in any plane or any location and he Garmin Glo is pretty small I just clip it to the ram mount for the Ipad Mini.  It picks up both US and Russian sattelites.

Let me know if you have time to meet up when you are back.

Posted

The Glo was compatible with Foreflight?

Posted

The Glo was compatible with Foreflight?

Larry,

The Glo works fine with Foreflight and gives you the position on the maps and the synthetic vision but it doesn't give you bank and attitude; you have to have an AHRS to get that since it needs the gyro's