Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Covering Fuselage - two sides at once?

4 posts in this topic

Posted

Covering the fuselage this weekend (finally).  One of the folks in our EAA chapter suggested covering the bottom and one side all in one shot (one piece of fabric). Then the top and side with another piece.  Two pieces vice the four suggested in the Kitfox manual.

Any feedback on this? Kinda makes sense, but want to make sure I am not missing anything here.  It is a KFIII.

Many thanks,

Larry

Posted

Not sure how well it will go around the compound curves. Might end up with a wrinkle that's to much to stretch out. Not sure though. Also, will the fabric be wide enough to do both? Cutting a triangle shaped piece out to do the bottom leaves a big triangle going the other way on the chunk of fabric. Less waste I suppose. Not saying it wont work, just some possible negatives. Jim Chuk

Posted

Avid and now Kitfox have been instructing to do it in 4 pieces for over 30 years now.

I covered mine in three sheets. My fuselage is modified, though with a dorsal fin from the antenna plate to the vertical stabilizer. This gave me a place to seam the sides. A stock Kitfox fuselage wouldn't allow this, making four sheets almost mandatory.

Posted

Thanks for all the feedback. I ended up using the 4 piece approach. So far so good.