Vinyl on fabric

20 posts in this topic

Posted

Anybody ever use vinyl for adding stripes over fabric? My tail and wing letters are made out of vinyl and sure do stick. I don't think I could pull them off without tearing them. Might be easier than painting on stripes.

Posted (edited)

I heard one time that it can crack in cold weather like you have - No real confirmation on that tho.

Down here, we would have to worry about it melting!

Seems like someone on here did use them - Jim Chuk?  They looked good.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Dave has vinyl stripes on his plane.  They've been on there for several years without incident.

I'll be adding black vinyl border stripes to the Mangy Fox shortly...

Posted (edited)

Where do you buy wide vinyl stripes?

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Thanks Larry,  I just added that to my favorites.

EDMO

Posted

I have vinyl stripes, checkerboards and Kitfox logo decals on fabric. Sticks great, no issues here with hot or cold weather.

Posted (edited)

Would you buy standard, premium, pre-masked?  I didn't see anything on that site about 2 or more colors on a roll?  Although it is shown in the picture.

EDMO

I found it - just had not clicked on the tabs at the top.

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

I used pressure sensitive vinyl on the sides of this plane. Worked good. Din't crack from the cold in northern Mn. winters. Jim Chuk

post-329-0-14444100-1431060875_thumb.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

My wing originally had a vinyl strip across the entire leading edge. It held up great for 20 years before I recovered it.

Posted

Dang Jim - that's a good looking plane! Pictures like that can really help motivate you. Was that your Mk IV with the Jab in it? 

Posted

Looks like it works good on fiberglass and aluminum doors too - Good Looking plane Jim.

EDMO

Posted

Thanks for the compliments guys, it was a pretty plane when I finished it.  Not so pretty latter on, buy some day it might get it's good looks back.  That's the plane I had the oil cooler line blow on, and had to put down in a to short field.  I posted the painted fuselage and on covered wing a few weeks ago, but it's now on hold again while I work on extending the runway.  Pushed a couple  hundred yards today, almost connected to my existing runway now.  Maybe get that tomorrow.  Rain coming Sunday so it will get muddy then. 

post-329-0-91243100-1431138985_thumb.jpg

post-329-0-46186700-1431139000_thumb.jpg

2 people like this

Posted

Wish I had a strip of land and a D6 dozer - the fun would begin!

Congrats,

EDMO

Posted

Nice runway....i make my runway in the field ..1800'x90'...first year a big tractor make the "labour" i dont know how you said that in english..in same time he make me two ditch..next year i start to working with my old tractor and iron way rail ( 39' total lenght) i weld two chain on rail and i working with that like a grader...and i doing that all the summer ,,,day and night;)...

A voice in my head say's " do it...and they will come". Lol...

Now my runway are pretty flat ,full of new grass and i need to roll on with an compactor to remove all small bump...

2 people like this

Posted

small bumps = fun :dunno:

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I install a 3M Aircraft Grade poly or vinyl graphic product. Complete wraps or stripes or any design imaginable. The temperature spread and conformity factors are awesome! Less weight, less cost, less down time, more performance!

GREAT LOOKING PLANE JIM CHUK!

Edited by Flyhighbigsky

Posted

Where do you buy this 3M stuff?

EdMO

Posted

I used 3M on the mangy stripes. I got it from Amazon. There's a million places on the net to get it.

1 person likes this

Posted

Thanks Larry, I will look for it.

EdMo