Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

another something to take a look at

6 posts in this topic

Posted

A few days ago, I was going through some of the Avid MK IV parts, and when looking at the header tank, I saw this groove in it.  (black tank)  Ended up using another tank I had, and today when I ran the rudder cables, I see why the groove is in the header tank.  The rudder cable was rubbing on it and wore the groove.  Plane has about 480 hours on it, so it didn't happen very fast.  I ended up putting some 3/16" vinyl tube over the cable between the two guides, and moved the tank over some more.  Ended up putting a doubler over the tank just in case.  Don't know why this was never seen before, but if you have the header tank, you might want to take a look at yours.   Jim Chuk

post-329-0-32963000-1427232913_thumb.jpg

post-329-0-93613200-1427233064_thumb.jpg

Posted

Good catch!! It was not going to be much longer before that turned into a really shitty situation! :BC:

Posted

Ya that could have got real ugly fast.  Best case, would have been going though fuel real fast and hopefully not catching on fire.  With the tank outlet below the cable, the engine probably would have kept running but the belly of the plane would be filling up with fuel.  Not good!  Jim Chuk

1 person likes this

Posted

My luck it would have popped through about 50' in the air right after t.o. over some nasty trees.. glad you caught it! Fuse full of fuel is not a fun thing.. mine would be dumping gas on the battery. Probly not going to ignite from that but I don't want to be the guy that tries it first to find out!

:BC:

Posted (edited)

Sounds like an inspection alert for all Avids/Foxes - If that tank had been plastic, it would have been cut in no time.

For Kitfoxes, and maybe Avids, one owner found that his rudder cable had worn thru the plastic bushing on the front cable guide, just by the front of the seat, and the cable was rubbing on the steel tube, ruined his cable and probably would have failed there.

I replaced this small tube with a 3/4"diameter tube, to compensate for any misalignment of the cable as it goes to the pedals.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Jim, I don't remember my cable being so close. Glad you caught that one before it got any worse!