Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Gallons of paint

8 posts in this topic

Posted

I think this has been discussed before but I can't seem to find it , how many gallons of paint will I need to spray out my mk4 .thanks rusty

Posted

I would think 3 gallons would get it covered, and 5.5 would be a awesome paint job.

Posted (edited)

I think this has been discussed before but I can't seem to find it , how many gallons of paint will I need to spray out my mk4 .thanks rusty

Depends on which system you are going to use - I don't know about Poly systems. The Kitfox manual has a process listed for a light, 1-coat finish, and a "better" two-coat finish, but no amounts.

I think we used 8 or 9 gallons total with 2 primers on the J3 with $$tewarts.

I believe Ron said he used 3 gallons of $$uperflight as primer coat on his Magnum, and guessing the top coat would be about the same, without the two-tone.

I'm sure someone has a better answer.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Good catch Ed I'm using poly spray

Posted

Here you go.

PolyFiberCoverCost.pdf

Posted

One thing to remember is Poly fiber sells this stuff, and if you buy a few extra gallons it's not going to hurt them.  Another thing to bear in mind, is their system (like all of them I think) is meant for a plane that might spend most of it's life outside.  How many of us don't hangar or garage our planes?  I used 3 gallons of each (brush, spray, tone, extra poly tone for trim color)  and I don't know how you could ever use 3 quarts of poly tak.  One quart of poly tak should be enough.  I'm about to start covering my third Avid/Kitfox so I'm going off of my previous experience with them.  Because I knew I would always hangar the plane, I went one less coat lighter on the poly spray on the bottom of the wings and fuselage.  For the color coat, (white) I went thick enough so there was no hint of the gray poly spray showing through, and not a whole lot more.  Two coats each way if memory is correct.   YMMV  Jim Chuk

1 person likes this

Posted

Thanks for the info I'm going to order 3 gallons and see how that works,

Posted

Don't forget that it's thinned as well... Jim Chuk