Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

First flight with my daughter

11 posts in this topic

Posted

I've taken my 5 year old up plenty of times in a rented Cessna but wasn't quite a 100% comfortable taking her up in the Avid until I knew for sure she enjoyed flight. The LAST thing I wanted to do was scare her when she was young. Today I took her with around the patch and she was having  a blast so we kept flying for a while. She loved doing climbs with a little pushover at the top. The bottom half of my doors are plexi so in a right turn your looking straight down. I did some real shallow turns to the right and she loved it and before I knew it we were doing steep turns to the left and she loved it! It's so cool to hear a 5 years old perspective from a birds eye view.  Landed on the grass next to the runway when we were done and before I even shut down she was asking when we were going again. I guess I have a new flying partner which is awesome. She only weighs 8 gallons of gas...perfect passenger! Anyone else fly with their kids?

DSC_0805.jpg

IMG_6874.jpg

5 people like this

Posted (edited)

When mine were young we were doing x-country trips in a 172 and a Cherokee - both girls would go to sleep as soon as we left the ground, and not wake up until the tires squeaked on landing - unless that sudden, "Daddy, I've got to go" came from one of them, and there was a quick final to the closest runway.

Guess if I would have had the Kitfox, they might have enjoyed the scenery.

Great Post and pretty passenger Joey!

BTW: The "Daddy - got to go" sure makes good practice for finding alternate airports and landing strips fast! Ha!

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Pretty awesome, Joey.  

She'll be camping with dad at Johnson Creek in no time!

1 person likes this

Posted

Awesome Joey!

Posted

One of my daughters liked to fly. Now one of my granddaughters flies with me. When they fly with me it makes it a very special flight.

1 person likes this

Posted

Awesome post! My kids love flying with me from the time they were her age to now. My new one seems to not mind it, but like Ed ' s kids, she is asleep before I get to the runway. Getting the kids up in the plane and see those smiles is the best feeling ever! :BC:

Posted

My grandson is a couple of months short of 3, and his favorite toys are airplanes. He likes his rides I give him on the snowmobile and 4 wheeler, when he gets a bit older, I'll have to give him rides in the plane. Kids are great. I remember when I was taking ultralight lessons down in SC. The guy flew his Quicksilver from a big cow pasture. After our flight, the guy's 4 year old boy was there with a hopeful look on his face. When his dad asked if he wanted to go for a ride, you should have seen the smile on that little kid's face. He loved it! Kid is probably about 18 now. Bet he still likes flying. Enjoy them while you can, they grow up fast. Jim Chuk

Posted

Look at the smile on that cute 'lil face!  Priceless!  I've like memories of similar smiles w/my sons back in the day in C150's, Tcrafts and Cherokees.  The youngest is presently serving in the Air Force; just finished Initial Flt Training and going on to Undergrad Flt School next month.  I never would have thunk!  But I believe the seeds of lasting impressions of joy of flying were planted at a young age.

2 people like this

Posted

Thanks for starting this Joey.  My grandson is two now and I am trying to figure out about what age is appropriate to take him flying.  I sat him in the plane last night when I got back to the hangar; he wanted to be strapped in and he was having a blast moving the stick around.  Just need to be sure he is old enough to know when not to touch stuff and I want him to enjoy it and not be scared.

2 people like this

Posted

I have two grandsons. One is 4 and the other just shy of four. I would not take the 4 year old with me. I would take the younger one flying in a heartbeat. He is the oldest of two children in the family. The older one is the 3rd child in the family. It all pivots on maturity and if you can trust them to do/not do as they are told. MHO

1 person likes this

Posted

Thanks for starting this Joey.  My grandson is two now and I am trying to figure out about what age is appropriate to take him flying.  I sat him in the plane last night when I got back to the hangar; he wanted to be strapped in and he was having a blast moving the stick around.  Just need to be sure he is old enough to know when not to touch stuff and I want him to enjoy it and not be scared.

Just be careful Randy when you're ground handling your piece w/the young ones around.  When my son was 3, he stood right at elevator height - 'bout at his forehead.  One day while cleaning my Tcart w/him I decided to repostion it. Silly me not making sure he was clear pulled forward on a wing strut, I soon found out where he was as I heard a thud and he was soon laying in the grass wailing.  Left a lasting impression on the both of us.  One of many other experiences shared together we both reflect upon fondly and w/wide grins