Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

FLAPERON SPAR TUBES?

9 posts in this topic

Posted

Are the flaperon tubes aluminum or steel?

EDMO

Posted

The ones I've seen are aluminum.  Jim Chuk 

Posted

Mine are aluminum as well

Posted

Thanks Guys,

I bought steel before asking - got to go back and get aluminum now - I should have checked first.

EDMO

Posted

I'm pretty sure mine are steel. That is on an Avid Model C. I will check this weekend but I remember that they were not that easy to drill through when I added a few rivets during rebuilding of the one that came apart on me.

Dan

Posted

Aluminum on my MKIV.

Posted

While we're at it anyone know what size the tubing is and how thick? I want to make new ones and extend them 3' to match the extension I did on the wings. 

Also what is used for the bearings? looks like some sort of tubing from the plumbing supply store. as for the covering I'm thinking of using flashing material such as http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=29795066&KPID=984477&kpid=984477&pla=pla_984477unless anyone has a better solution or good reason not to. it does say "aircraft max" after all doesn't it :rolleyes:

Posted (edited)

Robert,

I can tell you tomorrow. I have a cut end of one in the shop - Just guessing, I would say 3/4" x .065 wall. You could make your extension out of 7/8 x 062 so it would slip over the old tube and get riveted at both ends.

I believe PVC pipe is used for the bearings??

The flaperons are about 9" wide, so you would need about 18" flashing to make them.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

While we're at it anyone know what size the tubing is and how thick? I want to make new ones and extend them 3' to match the extension I did on the wings. 

Also what is used for the bearings? looks like some sort of tubing from the plumbing supply store. as for the covering I'm thinking of using flashing material such as http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=29795066&KPID=984477&kpid=984477&pla=pla_984477unless anyone has a better solution or good reason not to. it does say "aircraft max" after all doesn't it :rolleyes:

Robert,

I measured the tube today and it is .750 diameter and .100 wall aluminum.

EDMO