Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Turtle deck Bearing

14 posts in this topic

Posted

On the bottom half of the turtle deck bearing are you guys mounting that on a hinge or something. I don't see how the flaperon horn will release from the bearing when folding the wing  with out pushing up on the bottom of the wing. Hope this makes sense.

Posted

I believe that some have set the straight top where the "U" is, at an angle, so when you swing, it will clear with just a little pressure. Or cut the back part of the top lower. You mount the top of the bearing to match the bottom angle. Hope this makes sense.

Later models did mount this pad on a hinge, and that is how I am doing mine.

EDMO

Posted

I hard mounted mine by riveting it to the tab welded on the fuselage it clears when folding but not by much, (I have already dinged my flapperons on it grrr) If i were to do it again, and I may redo it, I would use a small hinge to fold it down out of the way when folding the wings. also my kit had aluminum for the bearings I would use some sort of synthetic material. 

-Robert-

Posted

I hard mounted mine by riveting it to the tab welded on the fuselage it clears when folding but not by much, (I have already dinged my flapperons on it grrr) If i were to do it again, and I may redo it, I would use a small hinge to fold it down out of the way when folding the wings. also my kit had aluminum for the bearings I would use some sort of synthetic material. 

-Robert-

Nylon, Teflon, Cheap cutting board from wife's kitchen or Walmart - Probably Walmart is safer!

EDMO

1 person likes this

Posted

Ed, seriously where you before with this one. a cutting board!!! thats a lot cheaper than buying raw materials. I wonder if my wife would notice that the cutting board is just a bit shorter hmmm. I should probably check the thrift store first :)

Posted (edited)

When you get my age, you will know to go buy your wife a new cutting board, if she has a nylon one - Tell her that you are going to recyle the old one, and she will be so happy with you - or buy two, then you take the other one out to your plane!

EDMO

BTW: After hearing that Oh Bummer was outlawing some .223 ammo, I went to Walmart and bought my wife a new vacuum cleaner, and 200 rounds of ammo. She was so happy! :lol:

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted (edited)

Local gun store sold 12K rounds of .558 the day the announcement to ban them came out :news:

Edited by KFfan

Posted

I don't understand why the dumb ass doesn't just charge a little more tax on stuff like that, then it would be ok to have it. Right? look at Marijuana it was illegal for all those years but if they can tax it, its all the sudden OK. Its all a bunch of BS in my book. Hope they don't take away my rights to own my .308 savage. that's my favorite gun.

Posted (edited)

....much like they have done with tobacco!

Edited by KFfan

Posted (edited)

English Lesson:

Politics:

Poly means many

Ticks are blood-sucking parasites

They will steal your money any way they can, and spend $3 for every $1 they can steal.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri
1 person likes this

Posted

Never had any trouble with them when folding the wings.

Posted

after looking at it I have realized I need to mount the lower half on a hinge, The reason is right now when folding the wings the flaperon clears the cam-lock by 1/16 of an inch, now if I was to mount a plastic bearing that sticks up another 3/8th of an inch higher than the cam-lock, which is what would be needed to have the bearing hole in the center of the fleperon horn, when I fold the wing the flaperon would just slam in to the plastic or I would have to twist the trailing edge of the wing up 5/16th of an inch to clear the bearing,  thanks for the replies.

Posted (edited)

I can't say for sure about the KF1 but the Avid's lower bearing works just fine when built to plans and the wing hinges without problems. I don't fold my wings but when I built the plane I did check to see that it operated properly so I would be able to fold the wings if I wanted to.

Edited by Paul S

Posted

This one is for you Mr. Paul S, So I spent a couple hours today mounting a bearing on a Hinge. Got one side all finished up and found after installed if I push Up ward pressure on the control horn the hinge pin would move up and down about 1/32 of an inch, not acceptable in my book. So back to square 1, thought about what Paul S. said build it to the manual it Should work, Ha OK so I dug out some of the papers that ED sent me and sure enough there was a pattern for making one, built it and clamped it to the airframe,  it works, Here is the problem I was having I did not realize I needed to trim the back side of the flaperon off, that was in more papers that Ed sent me, once that was done I can now pivot the flaperon down to clear the cam lock while folding the wing, So there it is Paul you were right thanks.