Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

walleye limit

14 posts in this topic

Posted

It was the last day of walleye season today limited out. Super cold,0 degrees, but it sure was fun.

post-56-0-65809400-1424656443_thumb.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I notice that you forgot to include a tape measure with those bait fish! :lol:

I think we are only allowed one walleye here, for safety reasons - Two if you have a huge boat!

I've got a photo of a 33 pound striped baby bass.

Good Fishing,

EDMO

Alaska ruined my fishing - gave away my good dipnet - didn't use a pole except for halibut, and nothing that big down here!

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Nice, even though we get rainbows and salmon ,I still miss them walleye,hard to beat those guys

Posted (edited)

Wallys are good eating. We got some Jack Salmon at Shnucks (the anti-gun folks) Friday and they smelled bad - had to take them back and eat tuna patties.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Ya, these are great eating size fish. The nice thing about it is we can catch them on the river that is only about a half mile from my house. I will agree they are not as good as halibut but, much cheaper per pound though. I might as well fish, its been to cold to fly. Its been about 8 below every night for a week.

1 person likes this

Posted

I tried ice-fishing when a teen in Michigan, also rode once in a convertible with the top down at 19 below! Ice don't get thick enough here, but thick enough to keep your boat out of the lake.

EDMO

Posted

We have a weather reversal going on here.. Its been in the upper 30s and well into the 40s all week at the house.  Raining like hell and no snow left in the yard.  Frickin weird winter for sure!

Have you had pike?  I know they are a close cousin of the walleye, maybe even the difference is like a caribou and a reindeer.. geographic location otherwise they look and taste the same :lol:

I think I prefer pike to halibut.  The guy that owns the lodge showed me how to fillet them so you don't get any bones in the fillets and the small strip that ends up with all the bones he pickles and it dissolves them... good damn eating fried, pickled or however else he cooks it.

They got a 45 or 47" out of the lake in front of the lodge last summer.. most of them run 18-30".  My biggest I pulled out of there was 42"  Fun fish on a light trout rod and 6 pound test!

:BC:

Posted

Leni, Pike is to snowmobile as Walleye is to snowmachine.   (Which for the record, even Apple spellcheck does't like.)

Same thing, different location.

Posted

When I came home from Germany, I was invited to my Grand Aunt's house for fish dinner - they told me it was Carp. I immediately said that I probably wouldn't like Carp. I was quickly told that I had eaten Carp all the time I was growing up. If you know how to clean them and cook them, they are good.

Probably would have said the same about Pike - but like Walleye!

EDMO

Posted (edited)

yes we have Pike here too.This is a 37 inch pike that I mounted. A kid caught it in the same river as I caught the walleyes in.set the meat outside of the shop because it smelled like fish slime. My dog grabbed it and took it over to the neighbors and buried it. The neighbors dam dog dug it up and brought it back.

post-56-0-58139300-1424811350_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bandit
2 people like this

Posted

Ok Mr. Bandit.. is there a difference in the taste of the two? Or three? ( I can't tell ya the difference between a musky, wally, or pike. :BC:

Posted

I see a bunch of mounts, do you do your own work? Nice fish!

Posted

"pike" from the way up north deep cold lakes are actually really good eating. "pike" from warm shallow lakes down south taste like s#!^. Either way they're ugly!

Posted

Actually I don't mind eating pike from northern Mn. lakes if they have not been frozen. Other wise I don't care for them. Yes, I have been doing some taxidermy work. Gives me a little airplane gas money.

1 person likes this