Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Stringers Question

7 posts in this topic

Posted

Hey guys I am ready to glue up my stringers and stand offs, I have seen a few pics of this and it looks like the bottom stringer is glued right to the bottom of the fuselage, why does that one not have the stand off blocks? When I pull a string line from the lower spar carry through to the tail spring there is about a 2 inch gap in the middle. What is the reasoning for not making a nice strait like with the stringer there? 

Posted

all the stringer does is keep the fabric off of the cross tubes.

EDMO

Posted

Like Ed said it keeps the fabric off the cross tubes and gives it shape.

Posted

You can use the stringer to make the lines how ever you like them.  My Avid has a couple stand offs welded to the frame and a tube was added instead of the wood stringer to change the shape of the bottom of the fuse to more of a straight line like your thinking.

:BC:

Posted

I was wondering how a small (3/8 or 1/2"?)tube would compare to the wood stringers in bending strength when you stretch the fabric.

EDMO

Posted

Thanks Guys I am going to put some standoffs under her, there will be a small percentage of people that will see it but I like it that way. Now all I need to decide is if I want to weld on some standoffs or make them out of wood.

Posted

weld them on.. its going to get drug through brush etc and wood stand offs will get moved around.  I'm glad mine is welded tubing as I had a buddy helping do a float swap this summer and he decided to get under the plane and put his back to the stringer and lift up with his legs to help get a bolt aligned.. I was able to get 90% of the bend out of the tube by putting a couple small holes in the fabric and putting a rope around the tube and pulling it back down, then a couple seaplane grommets and it looks like it was meant to be that way. 

:BC: