Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Just Aircraft Offers SuperSTOL Spoilers Kit

24 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

This story was in the EAA news feed yesterday. I would like to see how the control mechanism works. If the spoilers link to the SuperSTOL ailerons (vs. flaps), maybe possible to retrofit our flaperon systems with a bit of thought...

Just Aircraft Offers SuperSTOL Spoilers Kit

Jan 2015 Walhalla, SC – Just Aircraft has announced plans to provide optional instructions and materials for installing spoilers on new SuperSTOL kits. The addition of spoilers significantly enhances slow flight control, especially in undesirable wind conditions. They represent the latest step in advancing the short takeoff and landing capabilities of the SuperSTOL.

Troy Woodland, who designed and flight tested the spoilers, said: “once a pilot discovers the advantage of spoilers in slow flight and turbulent air, he won’t want to fly without them. They go a long way toward taking the rock and roll out of rough air on final, and they open up a lot of new areas for landings.â€

The kits, which connect the spoilers to the ailerons, take about 40 hours to install. They can be mounted at the factory for an additional charge. Designed to deploy with the ailerons, the spoilers will rise on the right wing when the pilot moves the stick to the right. Since stick movements at cruise speed are minimal, the spoilers have little effect, but in slow speed operations, when the stick movements are greater, the spoilers will reach maximum deployment and effectiveness.

The SuperSTOL wing features slats that extend in slow flight, vortex generators, and fowler flaps all of which are designed to allow the aircraft to fly at a very high angle of attack without stalling. That in turn, allows a touchdown speed in the low 20s in calm conditions.

Optional spoiler kits, which are available only for the SuperSTOL, are priced at $1,000. With factory installation, the price is $2,500. For more information visit JustAircraft.com.

post-53-0-68666200-1421508285.jpg

Edited by dholly

Posted

The question would be: Why?

The super stol wing needs them due to flying in a High angle of attack with flow separation over the ailerons.

By their nature, our flapperons are always flying in high pressure air below and behind the wing. They have full control even when the main wing is deeply stalled.

There is a good discussion with photos of the mechanism in the wings forum.

http://wingsforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=218&t=23559

Posted

I was not thinking about any effect on flaperons, or even about the reduced lift caused by disrupted air rover the wing. Rather, wondering whether they could be used to add drag to increase the rate of descent without increasing the rate of speed.

1 person likes this

Posted

Just wondering... what plane and what airfoil kicked the crap out of the super stol last year at Valdez?  :lol:  Cool idea, but its adding complexity to a plane that 99% of the owners cant or wont fly to the full potential anyways.  If you gotta add spoilers for roll control when your landing it at 45 anyway cause you are scared of the deck angle, its simply a matter of small penis syndrome.. kinda like putting a IFR panel and auto pilot in a KF... your trying to make up for lack of something if ya feel the need to do that :lmao:

If I want to loose altitude in my avid or the KF, I just pull the nose up.  It is very easy to be dropping at 1200+ FPM at 45 MPH.

:BC:

1 person likes this

Posted

Sure, but if you could drop the nose without picking up speed and lose altitude as quick or quicker... Maybe some benefit to that.

1 person likes this

Posted

If you look at the thread I linked to, they aren't that kind of spoiler. They are for roll.

Posted

But they could be modified real easy to be "that" kinda spoiler..

Posted

My thoughts exactly. Like found on gliders, commercial airliners, military etc., etc. I for one, have a hard time seeing over tall instrument panels, not to mention big fat round cowls. Anything to improve visibility would be good by me.

1 person likes this

Posted

I've been looking at this plane ever since the STOL exhibition at Oshkosh. I was really impressed. I wonder if it's really meats the advertised performance? They tout 100, but I've seen reports of 85 to 90.

Posted (edited)

Paul, if you're talking cruising speed, you're about correct.  

Your SuperSport will fly circles around a SuperSTOL, while giving up very little in STOL performance.  You can operate out of a couple hundred feet.  A Just will do 100-150.  In the grand scheme of things is there really any difference?  I've yet to see a video of one of these planes doing their "vertical drop" short landing method out in the bush.  That just [sic] sounds like a formula for disaster on a gravel bar or soft field.

Having flown a Highlander (not the SuperSTOL), I wasn't impressed with the handling.  They are very lazy and Cub-like in their handling.  Nothing like the sporty feel of an Avid/Kitfox.

Edited by Av8r3400

Posted

Even with all that said, If I had unlimited funds I would be building a Super Stol in a heartbeat, I think they are sweet.

Posted

I wonder how many they bent or broke learning how to make those show-off landings - It didn't impress me as much as the Kitfox did.

EDMO

Posted (edited)

I have it on good authority that they did break a couple of them, Ed.  Steve Henry has rebuilt his at least once that I know of...

The long travel suspension will absorb a ton of abuse.  It is a very impressive design.

Edited by Av8r3400

Posted (edited)

Even with all that said, If I had unlimited funds I would be building a Super Stol in a heartbeat, I think they are sweet.

If I just had the funds, not even unlimited, I would have my own airport and fleet of homebuilts with nosewheels!

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted (edited)

A SuperSTOL with a nose wheel would be like a Kate Upton with a penis. Wrong at every level.

Kate-Upton-image-kate-upton-36676640-797

Edited by Av8r3400
2 people like this

Posted

Actually I think Chris Heinz at Zenith has done a pretty good job of making a sweet tri gear SuperStol plane.

I've always like those and they don't look like Kate Upton with a penis :-)

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Chris,

Hate to bear bad news, but there is a Zenith 650 on ebay with crunched nose and nosewheel - I didn't care for Heinz designs - looked flimsy to me - I bought the manual for the 701/801 -

Yours and RANS look a lot stronger. (and mine, I hope)

I have 2 of the strongest light gear ever made - Piper TriPacer/Colt.

EDMO

The driver may have had something to do with the crunched nose - probably not enough taildragger time! :huh:

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

If I just had the funds, not even unlimited, I would have my own airport and fleet of homebuilts with nosewheels!

EDMO

That's discrimination! The government won't permit that kind of behaviour.

Whoever heard of a airport with all nose draggers???

Posted

A SuperSTOL with a nose wheel would be like a Kate Upton with a penis. Wrong at every level.

Kate-Upton-image-kate-upton-36676640-797

Did you bother to look?   :stirthepot:

Posted

I would love the opportunity to take a good look.  Probably the last thing I'd do, but at least I'd die happy.

Posted (edited)

I didn't post this to disparage steve Henry. We all known what an awesome pilot he is. This is just to show it can happen to anyone.

This must have been while he was practicing for Valdez. Looks like some fair damage this time.

Also note how misleading and libelous the reporting is. Uneducated, unfactual, commentary from everyone who appeared on camera.

Edited by Av8r3400
1 person likes this

Posted

damnit... the money spent on that plane in the last year and a half would buy a really nice 180 and give you a few years worth of gas money to boot.  Sucks that it got bent again but when your pushing the edge things go south real quick!

Posted

Do you really think the media will ever tell the truth, they Bloviate to make them sound like they know something! I hate to see that he injured his plane! Looks like some significant damage. I pray he walk away with no injuries.

Posted

Paul, Steve is fine and the plane is fixed already.

He was at Airventure with his highlander, Yee Haw 2 competing in the STOL show.