Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Over 1000 members!

28 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I have mine mounted on its side pointed forwards and the external ELT antenna mounted inside the fuse in the extendwed baggage.. most ELT antennas get torn off when the plane flips upside down and while the pilot may head the ELT going off in his headset, its not getting out to the rest of the world.  I know a few people who spent days wondering why no one showed up, then it dawned on them, they pulled it and put the portable antenna on it and low and behold they had planes circling overhead in a few hours.

:BC:

I was planning to mount my antenna where the tubes make a "V" just behind the cabin and under the turtledeck, but wondered if the steel tubing surrounding it might block the signal, especially upside down?

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Pointing up or down has no effect. The tubing however does. One thing to be mindful of is the reflected power from the tubing to the antenna. The vast majority of people do not consider this reflected power. Also, in fabric covered ships we want a effective ground plane constructed of a metalic material. Thin aluminum will suffice, even foil will work. The material must provide continuity to the "ground" side of the antenna to be effective. The manual I posted calls out a 36" circular coverage. No matter how you dice it, "ideal" is difficult to achive in our chosen vehicles.

1 person likes this

Posted

it is hard to get the ideal position.  my extended baggage is made out of aluminum so I have a good ground plane.  I think a poor ground plane would be better than a busted off external antenna laying in the dirt under your balled up aircraft.

:BC: