Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Props

11 posts in this topic

Posted

Just wondering if anyone has ever tried a prop like a wood Tennessee propeller, or prince or any others, I had a wood Tennessee prop on my challenger and it out performed the warp drive I replaced it with. I lost 200 fpm climb and 8 mph on cruise when I switched to warp. but I keep the warp on there because I get caught in the rain every once and a while.

Posted

I am seriously considering a Prince or Catto fixed pitch (composite over wood) prop for my Mangy Fox project.   (912UL with big bore 105 hp mod.)

I've been watching the testing on the Highlander and BCP forums.

Posted

My Avid still has the original Peery wood prop.  It seems to work just fine, and is in good shape.  Just remember to retorque the prop bolts regularly with a wood prop.  Temperature and humidity changes make the wood expand and contract, and if it contracts after you torque it, it may depart when you least expect it.

Mark

Posted

I have been seriously considering whether to go with the Warp Drive prop or go with the much lighter IVO prop, which could be converted to IFA, for my nose-heavy Soob Foxy.

EDMO

Posted

I stuck a IVO 3 blade ultralight prop on that Fisher Avenger that I did and I was not impressed at all, I thought the performance was terrible. But every plane is a little bit different.

Posted (edited)

The Alaska guys who are flying the IFA IVO seem to like it a lot - I think the IVO GA is a lot lighter than the WD?

Anyone have any comparisons of weight and performance of the two equal size GA props?

EdMo

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

well I just got a quote from Lonnie Prince about a prop for my rotax 582 with a 3.47 gear ratio. Wow it was a tiny bit more that I expected. $1747  for an 80 inch 56 pitch p tip propeller. that would look awesome on my kitfox but not sure I can justify it. and Im not sure if an Ebox will handle an 80 inch prop. Wonder if the performance would be much better that an 900 dollar warp drive.

Posted

80"?!?!

You'd need 44" tires to keep it out of the dirt.

Posted (edited)

The Alaska guys who are flying the IFA IVO seem to like it a lot - I think the IVO GA is a lot lighter than the WD?

Anyone have any comparisons of weight and performance of the two equal size GA props?

EdMo

Hoping someone has the weights of the two props.

I believe I saw that the Magnum IFA IVO weighs 22 lbs, and the GA should be maybe half that weight?

And, I am thinking that the HP Warp Drive weights about 37 or 39 lbs?

That's a lot of weight difference out on the nose - Could also help make up for a 13 lb heater behind the firewall.

EdMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

My hp warp is about 17# with the spinner. (68", nickel inlaid, taper tip, 3-blade)

Ivo UL with the adjuster motor is maybe 12-15#.

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the weights Larry,

I just missed out on 3 used WD blades sold for $295.

BTW - If anyone with a 582 is looking for a deal on a 68"IVO IFA, there is "new-unused" one with spinner on ebay for $1100 "Buy it now price" - Free shipping - 25 watchers.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri