Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Aluminium wing tanks

6 posts in this topic

Posted

With all the bad posts about these not sure I should use them. Hey Jim did you ever slosh these tanks or not. if not are they ok to use if I put a sealer in them before installing. what you guys think is anyone still flying with aluminum tanks

Posted

I never did anything with the tanks myself.  I wonder if wrapping aluminum tanks in fiberglass (and sealing them also) might be the way to go with them.  Don't really know for sure though.  Every once in a while I see Kitfox  fiberglass tanks for sale on barnstormers,  maybe even run a wanted add for some there and on these Avid/Kitfox sites.  Some guys want the latest ethonal resistant tanks, and might part with the older ones at a reasonable price.  Jim Chuk

Posted (edited)

I have only heard that the aluminum tanks were prone to leaks because the wings flex so much.   Jim may have a good idea about wrapping them in fiberglass before installing - If you decide to try that, be sure and use a Vinylester (I cant spell it) or similar epoxy that is supposed to be alcohol resistant, and build up about 3/8 to 1/2 inch thick bosses where you want to drill and tap for fittings.

I don't care for any of the sloshing compounds - heard bad reports on the Cream (sp? again) pealing off inside the tanks.  CASWEL is the name of the epoxy sloshing used for motorcycle tanks, and I thought that it might be good, but my flying buddy said he had bad luck with it too in aluminum tanks - maybe he mixed it wrong?

I have an old 12 gal fg wing tank, and a nose tank,  but planned to sell them with my Kitfox 1 clone and parts, if anyone ever buys it.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

TJay,

I have (1) 6 gal aluminum tank in each wing and have not had any leaks. They are set with RTV to prevent flexing the tank.

Posted (edited)

My Kitfox fglass tanks are set with GE Silicone II - no rivets - One manual I have and forget whether it is Kitfox or Avid, shows a row of rivets attaching the rear of the tank to the rear spar - I sure don't care for that idea of riveting any tank to the spar.
Another manual says to wrap the front and rear spars with the thin "stretch-tite" plastic wrap used to wrap meats before using the GE silicone to make for easier removal - I didn't do that, but wish now that I would have.
EDMO

Again, just guessing, since I am not an engineer, that the 6 gallon tanks may not have as much induced stress on them as the wider, 12 gallon, aluminum tanks, with the flexing of the wings.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

EDMO,

I did not build my plane but it looks like the builder did as you said with the plastic wrap. Good point on 6 gal verses 12 gal.