Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

How many planes?

6 posts in this topic

Posted

I've been curious lately how many Avid's were sent from the factory before they shut down and how many Kitfox 1-4's were sold before they changed the design

Posted (edited)

Travis,

I don't have the numbers for either company, but I think that Kitfox sold 10 times the planes that Avid sold.  The Kitfox numbers were something like 5 or 6 Thousand kits sold.   Dan Denny couldn't design a dog house, but he was a good salesman.   Kitfox is still selling the Classic 4.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

If you do a search on the FAA data base, you will find about 3 times more Kitfoxes than Avids registered.  Jim Chuk

Posted

I see there have been 827 Avid's and 1641 Kitfox's registered

Posted

Ed Downs gave the starting serial number of 1723 for the Kitfox 4-1200 (Classic 4) and that was in 1991.   The Classic 4 is still in production in 2014.   The 5 and 6 have been discontinued and replaced by the 7.   I don't know about the Lite, Lite-squared, and other Kitfoxes.  Then there is the BeLite?

EDMO

Posted

There were four versions of the IV produced.  Starting with the IV-1050 (1991), which was upgraded to the IV-1200.  Later after the 5 and 6 came along it was re-released as the Classic IV, which is the same as the IV-1200 and the Lite².

There were a few fuselages available a couple years ago, but to my knowledge no more have been produced.  The IV was sought after in Europe due to the 1200 gross weight designating it as an "ultralight".  This is why these few parts were "re-released" for sale.

The rights to the "Lite" were purchased from Kitfox and the Belite company was formed.  They invested what Kitfox did not want to in order to make the "Lite", now Belite into a legal part 103 ultralight.

The Lite² (Lite Squared) was nothing but a light weight, stripped down model IV, sold with a 52 hp Rotax 503 as an Ultralight Trainer - direct competition to the Avid Bandit.