Nylon radiator couplers

8 posts in this topic

Posted

Has anybody used these nylon 90° fittings in there radiator before? What is your experience with them? I am working on a new cooling system for my avid and want to utilize these, I just don't know if they'll hold up due to the water temp. Thanks, Bryce

post-55-0-59617700-1409611217_thumb.jpg

Posted

Not sure if I would use them, its a pretty sharp bend.  Water flow likes gradual sweeps for best flow and less turbulence.  I used 3/4" copper 45° fitting with a short stub soldered into each end. 

:BC:

Posted

Leni,

What was the short stub for? Was it like a barb to keep the hose on?

Posted

It just gave me a little more to clamp to.. more of a feel good thing than anything else probably :lol:

:BC:

Posted

Cool thanks guys!

Posted

I had an original piece from Dean Wilson that was pieces of copper tubing soldered together from straight to angled pieces to get the shape you need and on each end was a small piece of wire wrapping around the parameter and soldered on to make a lip for the rubber hose to go over and make a tight strong seal. hope this makes since - straight pipe -45*-straight-45* etc 

Posted (edited)

I think I have seen copper elbows with beaded ends for hoses.

They taught us in Aviation school that aluminum tubing was better than copper because it weighs less and does not vibration/work harden and fail like copper and soldered joints - I have seen several planes over the past 20 years that have used copper without any problems.

You can bend aluminum and use a beading tool to make the beads - there goes more money!

One of my books had a chapter on rads - He says we don't need the large hoses that a car needs for stop and start driving in traffic - recommending having aircraft fittings welded to the rad, and using -12 hoses - more money spent - never did figure out how he was going to connect them to the engine tho :huh:

EdMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri