Do F7A bellcranks come with longer F-37 pushrods?

3 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi folks, I'm building an Avid C and last year got new F7A bellcranks from Brett at Airdale.   He's not returned any of my calls or emails for months now so I'm hoping one of you can answer this, but wouldn't they always come with longer F-37 pushrods as well?  Mine didn't, and I can't remember if I even asked about them, so maybe it's my own fault.   But with the new F7A's and the  original F-37's (the 3" long vertical pushrods that connect the F-7A's to the flap bellcrank)  when the flap lever is in the down position the bottom ends of the F7A's contact the diagonal braces at the bottom of the fuselage.   I've seen a picture of them and the new F-37's  are almost 2" longer than the old, so they keep that from happening.   So if I need them, does anyone have some they'd be willing to sell, or can I  cut the old ones in half and splice in with some thickwall tubing with the right ID and have the ends welded in?  And if I do that, would the ends be held in by a rosette weld down the tube or just by a weld where the "bolt" comes out of the tube?

Many thanks in advance for any replies.   And here's hoping that Brett can return to work!  Best,  Mike

Posted

yes the are a bent tube with studs welded into the ends.  They are a good bit longer than the standard ones..  Hopefully someone has a set that they could draw a pattern off of and send you a drawing to scale.  If I remember right, they were just welded on the ends not rosette welded as well.

:BC:

Posted

Thanks so much Leonard, I found a picture of them taken with the pieces sitting on graph paper, so I'm good to go to make them up.    I've got tubing with a close fit ID, I was just going to cut the existing ones in half which gives me 2 studs with about 5/8" of the solid rod buried in the tube, and I think I'll do the rosette weld as well just for the heck of it.  

I noticed on your info that you've got an Ivo prop.   I'm putting a rebuilt Hirth 2706  65HP engine in my Model C  Stol,  and haven't decided on a prop yet.  The engine mechanic recommended a 5 blade Kiev prop which he said would pull like hell, which it ought to at about $1,800 bucks!   But I'm still in the beginnings of  research on props so any advice would be appreciated.   Thanks again.