Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Turtle deck

10 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi all I'm building a mk4 and am wondering do I have to hinge the turtle deck or can I rivet the two halves together ? Ps this portion is missing from the build Manual I have thanks Rusty

Posted (edited)

I believe the only reason a hinge was incorporated in the turtledeck was so it could be put in the cockpit for safekeeping when the wings were folded. The hinge leaks in rainstorms, lesson learned. My Aerotrek has a one piece t-deck and so will my Avid+. Personal preference so YMMV.

Edited by dholly

Posted (edited)

Some prefer the Lexan TD to the aluminum, which hampers your vision.  Lexan top and aluminum sides works too.  The hinge will leak - so I have heard.   The one-piece TD can still be stored in the cockpit.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Interesting. My turtledeck is two piece. It is split front to back, and has cam locs to attach the two pieces together diwn the center and at the sides.

Posted

Mark,

I have seen one that was split front to back, but with piano hinges - and it has leakage problems - yours sounds like it might be more waterproof.

EDMO

Posted

All 4 of my Avids had the two halves separate and used comlocks to hold them togeather.    Jim Chuk

Posted

Mine were also split front to back rather than side to side, although I like the side to side version for quick 'n easy cargo sack access. One could rivet on a piece of hard aluminum "J-Channel", soft vinyl, or similar equivalent under the piano hinge to direct rain leakage back out.

post-53-0-34420400-1403713834_thumb.jpg

post-53-0-14965200-1403713835_thumb.jpg

post-53-0-94602200-1403713835_thumb.jpg

post-53-0-62861100-1403713836_thumb.jpg

post-53-0-17496700-1403714128.gif

post-53-0-58437800-1403714128_thumb.jpg

Posted

Thanks for the replys I think I'm on the right track . I'm thinking I will reinforce the deck and put in a large window thanks again Rusty

Posted

Who looks out the turtle deck except to check the elevator and rudder during the controls check?  I put a small mirror on my jury strut to take care of that.

Posted

I thought you needed a mirror to see the F-15 coming up behind you!  :lol:

EDMO