Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Magnum Motor Mount

17 posts in this topic

Posted

I've got a friend that is finishing up a Magnum project. He is at the FWF point, but still has not been able to find a motor mount. Does anyone have a Lycoming motor mount for a Magnum laying around?

Thanks,

Luke D.

Posted (edited)

If the Magnum firewall does not fit a popular certified Lycoming motor mount, then maybe he should buy a mount and modify his fuselage to fit it, or modify the mount to fit the plane.  or TRY to contact Brett.....

I modified my Kitfox firewall to fit a Subaru mount off of a Pelican.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Yeah, the engine is off a Cherokee, and comes with the Piper Dynafocal mount. If he can't find another solution, he will have the mount modified to bolt to the Magnum. We just thought it couldn't hurt to ask if some one happened to have one.

Posted

If he wants a nose-gear for the Piper engine mount, I have one off of a Tri-Pacer.   I think it may be the same as the Cherokee.

EdMO

Posted

Thanks Ed, but he's building a tail dragger.

Posted

*IF* you can get a hold of Brett, I don't think he will be of any help.  I don't think he has any tooling for the Magnum or Amphib line.

Posted (edited)

Thanks Larry. That's good to know. We had kind of ruled him out anyway just because I haven't heard much about anyone getting anything from him recently.

If anyone has any detailed pictures or information on a Magnum/Lycoming mount, I'm sure my friend would appreciate it since it will just about be a scratch build project for him.

Edited by Luked

Posted

How about a Pacer/Tripacer mount to modify?  I'd bet those can be found easily… 

Posted

I can give you some photos and will take measurements when you need them.

Just send me a PM with your email address and let me know what you need.

It looks like a booger to build, especially because the bolts mount vertically. Mine is a real MF'er to bolt on and it was factory made.

Let me know...thanks,

Ron

post-545-0-66955600-1401771013_thumb.jpg

Posted

Hey, Thanks Ron. That would be very helpful. He found a picture of a conical mount (I think), but pictures of your mount would be more helpful. I'll PM you.

Thanks again,

Luke D.

Posted (edited)

There was a Magnum engine mount listed on Barnstormers for what seemed like forever. I don't know what engine it was for but I just looked and it is no longer there. Might keep an eye out in case it gets relisted.

Edited by dholly

Posted

Hi Doug,

My friend called that guy, and was trying to work out a deal, but lost contact, and can't reach him now.

Luke D.

Posted

I seem to be the only one on this site that likes both tri gear and tail wheel versions of these planes. I know there are two camps and neither will cross over to the other side :-)

That said, I recommend considering building any Avid so that it is convertible. It doesn't add much weight, and re-sale if you should ever decide to do it is much higher for planes that are convertible. And there are many instances of owners who start out in one configuration and decide later they want to try the other...and I've seen it go both ways.

Anyway, that is the lead in to my comment. I like the idea of modifying the tri pacer mount for the Magnum if that will work. It will be difficult to impossible to find a Magnum mount already made up unless someone has wrecked magnum they are parting out. It seems like the pacer mount would give you a great start, and if it all fits right, would provide a nose wheel weldment built into the mount should anyone ever want to run a nosewheel at any time in the future. The Magnum had two different motor mounts. One with nose wheel weldment and one without. If you got the mount without the weldment like my Magnum was built, you cannot convert without the other mount. The only downside I can see to the nose wheel weldment version is it takes a bit more creative plumbing for carb heat etc.

Just thinking out loud....

Chris

Posted (edited)

Chris,

The Tri-Pacer nose gear is an extra attachment to the engine mount - not part of it.  It attaches to the firewall - I have 1 1/2 of them.

You just unbolt it and remove it to convert back to Pacer / taildragger.  

Probably one of the strongest nose mounts made for small planes.

EdMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Hi Ed,

Nose wheel attachment to the engine mount......even better if the Tri-pacer mount can be (relatively) easily modified to fit the Magnum.

I have no idea how similar they are unfortunately.

Chris

Posted (edited)

The Pacer / Tri-Pacer / Maule / etc. had a flat firewall - from one of the photos posted above, the Magnum must have a partly recessed firewall like the Avids / Kitfox - I don't know if the Piper engine mount / nosewheel mount can be modified to fit the Magnum - All a matter of clearences, and making things fit,  I guess?

EdMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Ron,

Not to steal this thread but what did you use to make your landing gear springs.  I wanted to use the rubber donuts too but I couldnt find them.