Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Valdez fly in

24 posts in this topic

Posted

Any of you pilots headed to valdez for the Fly in, May 9-11?  Would love to trade a warm place to stay with a shower for a ride in a avid or a kitfox.

Posted

I would love to be there, but I'm on the slope again this year for it. Hopefully I will get down there next year for it

:BC:

Posted

Well Leni - Someone has to pay taxes and support King O!

EdMo

1 person likes this

Posted

unfortunately, I pay more than I care to.. as in I could but a 180 ever 2-3 years for what I pay the SOB.

Posted (edited)

Unfortunately, the King spends $1000 for every $1 you pay in!   How long and how much will it take to pay off $17+TRILLION?

My biggest question is:  WHO got all that money?  I haven't seen where even $1 Trillion bought anything!

Even his $100 Million golfing weekends don't add up to that much!

And, he has the nerve to cut the pensions of the retired military that he never served in!

edmo

Sorry, guess I corrupted the Valdez post - Hope they have a good time there and post photos.

Edited by Ed In Missouri
1 person likes this

Posted

I am hoping for good weather and some great planes, was really hopeful I could check out an avid. right now its 60 here just like the rest of South Central, we will see if it holds.

Posted

30s & 40s here with rain and snow.

I should move to Alaska where it's warm…   :banghead:

1 person likes this

Posted

well we did have over 200 inches of snow this winter, that was about half of normal.  Also last may we received about 36 inches of snow.  That's right in May.

Posted

I am going to give it a try this year if the weather will cooperate; it's beautiful at the moment and supposed to last for a while but that means this comming weekend looks good.  Another good period the following weekend might be too much to hope for but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Do you live in Valdeze?  I have never been there yet, even by road, so really looking forward to it.

1 person likes this

Posted

I am jealous.. I hope to be there next year with the Avid.. and the big engine... I may not be able to land as short as some of the cubs, but I bet takeoff will make up for it :lol:

Posted

Nice, I don't think I've seen any Avids in the pictures I've seen online of Valdez. Hope to make it to that eventually. My wife's sister and her family live in Fairbanks, so we might have to visit...

Posted

Suberavid, I do live in Valdez, the offer stands.  Hope to atleastto  meet you if you make it down.  Very interested in checking out some of these light experimentals.  Grew up in the back of a cub but will likely not be spending 40 to 80 k on a plane anytime soon.  Also convinced I don't want a certified airplane.

Posted

If Randy makes it down there and takes you for a ride I am pretty sure you will be impressed with the plane.  His is stretched and widened and its a neat plane that really performs well for the $$.

Posted (edited)

That would be great, hope the weather holds it was 69 here, cooking hot like everywhere else.

Edited by eatwildgame

Posted

Had a great time at the fly in this weekend, was nice meeting Suber Avid.  For those that don't already know Randy is  a class act and build a very nice airplane.  Was a pleasure to make a new friend.  You guys should try to get here next year  I think Randy would agree its worth the trip.

1 person likes this

Posted

This thread is useless without pictures!!!!  Where are the pics of the lineup and flying :dunno:

Posted

20 yr old Bobby Breeden took the bush class for 3 years in a row! How did Steve Henry in the Highlander Super STOL do?

Posted

20 yr old Bobby Breeden took the bush class for 3 years in a row! How did Steve Henry in the Highlander Super STOL do?

Posted

"Results from the banquet below:

Valdez Results 2014
Bush Class
3: Paul Claus 167'
2: Bob Breeden 119'
1: Bobby Breeden (61/55) 116'

Alternate Bush Class:
3: 120' Steve Henry Just Aircraft
2: 83' Josh Peppard SQ12
1: 76' Frank knapp Lil Cub

Hvy Touring 1st: Helio Courier (Low 200's)
Light Touring 1st: Cessna 170 (229')"

Posted

They are great sticks... But you really need to look at the change in winds throughout the contest then draw your own conclusion.. Had they had more time, they were going to do a fly off between them under more similar conditions. At any rate, I find it AMAZING that the SQ 12 and other super modded cubs got their asses handed to them by a straight wing cub. Just goes to show ya that money spent on a plane does not make the plane get in and out.. Only money put through the gas tanks can do it.

It cracks me up when guys trick out a plane then only have enough money left to fly it 20 hrs a year and not be able to do 1/100th of what they could have done had they saved the 50k in mods and put that money through the tanks.

Posted

It was a blast getting to be there for the fun and to hang out with Bill (EWG); thanks again for your hospitality Bill! 

Both those Breedens a amazing at perfectly controlling their plane; extremely smooth and precise.  They didn't leave anything wasted on takeoff and I think they nailed the landings perfectly without scratching.  Sounds like they fly hours EVERY DAY for practice.  Frank Knap's Lil Cub is truely purpose built for this and he flies it a lot too, but not this past year because he just finished rebuilding it completely about 2 weeks ago since it burned up in a hangar fire this past winter. The Just STOL did really well also but just could not quite beat the Lil Cub.  One experimental cub had nitrous on it; you could set the puff of white smoke  instant rpm boost just after he hit full throttle.

I will post pictures of the trip and of these planes in the pics section.

Posted

Franks story is pretty amazing.  3 months from a burned pile of rubble to winning at Valdez again.  I think lil cub is covered in oracover too isn't it?

Posted

Looks like Paul had a little different wind to contend with, his feet and arms were working overtime on those controls!

Posted

The Lil Cub was covered with the Oratex.  I didn't ask him what weight he used but suspect it was the lightest weight 600 since you could see the light through it.  He didn't even have any wing tips on it; you could look right into the end of the wing all the way to the fusalage.

I think Paul got some of the most intermittent gustyness to contend with of anyone, on both the heavy cruiser category flying his 185 and the bush plane category with the cub.  He managed to get the bad wind for both on each pass.  Still did real good.

1 person likes this